Tektro IO brakes - new rotor or new brakes?

neil81
neil81 Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

After a bit of advice, i have a carrera bike with Tektro IO (160mm) mech brakes on it, the rear one has been dodgy for a while, i mainly cycle to work but do the odd bit of very easy off roading... The rear brake seem to be properly adjusted and the lever cant be pulled as far as the handle but even so, the brake doesnt stop the wheel very well at all, just seems to slip through, i've had a good look today as i want to get it all sorted for winter (front brake is absolutely fine), the pads are clamping on the disc but the disc has bits of rust on it, i've had it all to bits and given it a good cleaning with wire wool and stuck new pads on too but still the same so i thought i'd just buy a new rotor - I cant seem to find them on the web so wondering if its likely that any other rotor would work (Tektro Wave or Shimano XT RT75) with the IO calipers or should i just get myself some new brake and start from scratch, and if so, what should i be getting (something fairly cheap - as i say i dont do any serious mountain biking, a 8 mile round trip commute is the huge majority of what i do)

Any advice would be great as i'm sick of only effictively having a front brake!

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    New pads would be more effective - clean rotor again (do not use oil based products).
  • neil81
    Sorry, meant to say that I tried new pads first and they didn't improve things at all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes but if they were contaminated the disc would be and then contaminate the new pads, you cleaned the disc right?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • neil81
    yup, cleaned the lot but preume i didnt do a good enough job, the rotor still has slight marks on it around the edges and from looking at the old pads, its only really catching the edges and not the middle. I will have another go before going for new brakes. Just thought it might be easier to stick a new rotor on it to be safe, thought it would be easy to get one as loads of bikes had the IO's on them but cant find them (without paying a fortune)...
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Wouldn't a purpose-refined brake setup and bedding-in procedure be useful here?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A WHAT?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    bikaholic wrote:
    The nonsense you come out with :lol:
  • neil81
    bikaholic wrote:

Sounds marvellous! dont happen to have such a thing do you?! :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    neil81 wrote:
    bikaholic wrote:

Sounds marvellous! dont happen to have such a thing do you?! :)
    Don't encourage him.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Check the arm which moves when you pull the lever (i.e. the bit the brake cable clamps into) isn't being pulled right up against the caliper, as that'll stop the lever coming right back to the bars but not allowing the moving pad to apply enough pressure to the rotor.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I had Tektro IO brakes and tried new pads, new bigger discs and making sure everything was clean and uncontaminated but they were never better than rubbish. Cleaned discs then new pads may help as will bedding them in properly but in my experience it's better to get hydraulic brakes (not Avid), keep your discs and get a set of Shimano's which usually come without discs.