Hivemind Help!

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
The power of one is good; the power of many is greater.

I am after some advice and I don't know where to turn, so its you that I seek counsel from.

What, you may ask is it that I seek,

Wheelset advice is the answer. Specifically 700cc disc brake compatible wheelsets.

Not sure on budget - but I am struggling to find anything.
These will be used on my cyclo-cross for commuting so need to be strong and robust - is factory the way to go? or can you recommend me a cheapish wheelbuilder for my quest!

HELP oh great hivemind.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Suspect this may have been asked once or twice before :wink:

A quick search gives this and this related threads to which I have contributed. My preference remains for hand-built wheels and I have been very happy with mine from Spa Cycles. A budget of about £200 ought to find you something suitable but I'd advise giving them a ring to discuss your requirements - they sold me something different to what I thought I needed and I think they were right.

Apart from possibly going clipless, decent wheels were the best upgrade I've ever made. Happy hunting.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I'd definitely go handbuilt, and Spa is a good place to start.
  • rubertoe
    Cheers WBW - i shall give them a call and see what they can do for me. Might also give Harry Rowland a call!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've got a similar dilema. I saw these Kinesis wheels as one option, the other being hand builts. My criteria was to remove the braking track as this simply isn't needed if you're running disc brakes. As stated, cyclo-cross wheels are the right place to start but they'll be strong but not light, unless your budget expands.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Not a dilemma, but I've been pondering the same for the fixed.
    Kinesis DC37 CX disc fork to replace the Condor stock fork, and then put a disc on the front...

Would mean a new front wheel of course.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I've got a similar dilema. I saw these Kinesis wheels as one option, the other being hand builts. My criteria was to remove the braking track as this simply isn't needed if you're running disc brakes. As stated, cyclo-cross wheels are the right place to start but they'll be strong but not light, unless your budget expands.

promising...

I just want strong and robust so probably thinking hand builds.