First Club Ride today

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Made my mind up to go out with the local club today as I found out they were running a month of introduction rides.
Normally they only have one ride a weekend which I doubt very much that I'd keep up with as I struggled at times today but it was a brilliant experience for me, got loads of advice from the regular members and went on a totally new route, it was hilly for me and at 19 stone I really struggled on the hills but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be aiming to get out on a few more rides with them and keep improving and dropping the weight.

Here's the route on strava if you're interested! http://app.strava.com/rides/24981490

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Well done mate. Looking at your Strava stats, 13 mph average over 38 miles in the Lake District is very good, especially as you are 19 stone. I am only 11 stone and would probably struggle to beat that.
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    Well done mate. Looking at your Strava stats, 13 mph average over 38 miles in the Lake District is very good, especially as you are 19 stone. I am only 11 stone and would probably struggle to beat that.
    I second that.. well done! I am 11 stone and would struggle finish the route let alone beat your time :?
  • OwenB
    MartAstur wrote:
    I second that.. well done! I am 11 stone and would struggle finish the route let alone beat your time :?

cheers have to say some of the steep bits were painful and I had moments where I thought I was going to have to get off and push but I struggled on and I've got tired legs now but am pleased with myself.
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    thought I was going to have to get off and push but I struggled on and I've got tired legs now but am pleased with myself
    I know exactly what you mean. Did my first strava Cat 4 rated climb the other day (http://app.strava.com/rides/24793000#442605030) and I could hear a voice in my head saying 'get off and walk you fool, you are too unfit for this' fortunately the body ignored it and was so chuffed when I got home. :D
  • Take my hat off to Owen, fantastic effort, you should be mighty proud of yourself :-)
  • Wow well done. Don't think I could of coped with those climbs. Good average too.

I live in Lincolnshire and any one of those hills climb more than a ride of that distance around here.
  • Which club was it? I live in the area and might be interested in trying it.
    David
  • OwenB
    Lakes Road Club, they're running starter rides this month, next week will be a flatter one typically as I can't make it!
    They should be advertising it on their Facebook said
  • Thanks, I guess I'll have to reactivate my Facebook account, got fed up with it!
  • OwenB
    DavidBut wrote:
    Thanks, I guess I'll have to reactivate my Facebook account, got fed up with it!

You can check the website here: http://www.lakesroadclub.org.uk/aboutus.php It's not regularly updated but it's got their contact details on there.

Another plus point yesterday was that they paid for the bacon butties at the cafe stop!!! I don't think they do that every ride though
  • OwenB
    Well yesterday was my second ride out with the club and it was a bit of an interesting one.
    I met up with the group as they passed through my town and filtered into the middle of the group where we rode two abreast till we hit a narrow part of the road out of town and we filtered into a single file line.
    As we crested a little bump the lead man braked for some reason and the call went out to brake so I eased up, still close to the man in front and I then felt a really sharp pain in my backside, I glanced back to see someone (another beginner) going flat on his face bringing down 3 others with him. I was distraught but nobody was hurt but one guy broke his mech hanger and it was ride over for him. I know it wasn't my fault as he was riding down the outside and not taking note of the people in front but it didn't stop me feeling bad about it.
    After that though we cracked on at a decent pace and I kept up pretty well except on the hills again but after the first incident the ride went fantastically so it hasn't put me off. Anyway the route's here if you're interested, my Bryton had a wobble so I had to log it on a separate website http://ridewithgps.com/trips/985300
  • Hey mate fantastic effort. I live over at Kirkby and have been getting out on my own since taking up road biking.
    I too am a 18st but am loving been out. Am now upto 30/40 miles with a 13/14mph avg but have been doing aa17m
    Round coniston and got that to a 17mph avg but feel I want to do more. I feel your pain on the hills buut what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

Having read your posts think I am gonna give a trial ride a go. Cheers for the encouragement and info.

Gaz
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • OwenB
    BigDaddyG wrote:
    Hey mate fantastic effort. I live over at Kirkby and have been getting out on my own since taking up road biking.
    I too am a 18st but am loving been out. Am now upto 30/40 miles with a 13/14mph avg but have been doing aa17m
    Round coniston and got that to a 17mph avg but feel I want to do more. I feel your pain on the hills buut what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

Having read your posts think I am gonna give a trial ride a go. Cheers for the encouragement and info.

Gaz

No worries, I'm not sure if they're running one this coming week as a lot of the riders will be at the Fred Whitton dinner, but if you contact them I'm sure they'll be able to tell you better than me.
    If you ever fancy a ride out give me a shout.
  • Will drop them a line and find out but would be fun to meet a few more guys. Was always worried I would struggle in a 'club/ride' environment so just go out on my own!!!

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/101866804 - is a good loop to do and certainly a good one to start from Ulverston or if you are fancying a real work out then http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/101866804 is my fav.

I will certainly drop you a line, would be good to hook up and pound a few miles!!!
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • Owen,

My Garmin data is here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235614387

More distance but less elevation!

David
  • DavidBut wrote:
    Owen,

My Garmin data is here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235614387

More distance but less elevation!

David

Gonna try and get out Saturday and do something similar to that route. One important question..........to stop in cartmel or grange for a 'cake and coffee' ehhh I mean fuel stop??
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • OwenB
    Well we stopped in the Mallard Cafe in Cartmel and I have to say it was very nice! Big mug of coffee and a teacake was just enough for me.
  • Owen

Thanks!!

Do you fancy joining up on saturday morning and heading out down that way?? Weather is suppose to be good if a little cold??
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • OwenB
    If I can get a pass out from the boss lady then yes but at the moment it's not looking promising.
    I'll pm you to confirm
  • No problem at all. Just drop me a DM if you can, if not I am sure we will catch up soon!
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2