1st post - New Frame advice needed by newbie

mrmashup
mrmashup Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi there,

I recently bought a 15" Orange Crush complete bike, but although i wanted something light & chuckable, at 5' 10" in height & with a leg inseam of 32 inches, it feels a little too small & compact for me.

It is my first ever proper mountain bike purchase, more specifically, hardcore hardtail purchase......When i bought it in the shop i had to have the stock 50mm stem replaced with a 85mm stem & the seat set as far back as possible in able to achieve what i thought was a comfy riding position (I'm new to all this!). I think that as a result of this, the steering is less responsive due to the long stem & even with the seat set back i still feel like i need more room, especially for long seated climbs, where my mates small WHYTE 901 feels really comfortable & effortless(I've ridden it for comparison & he is also 5' 10" in height with the same inseam as me).....Anyway, i am going to sell my Crush frame & transplant all of the gear & equipment onto a different, more comfortable, less cramped, but still chuckable frame....

What long travel, hardcore hardtail frames & sizes in those frames would you recommend to me, a rider who likes to ride fast singletracks & trails, preferably on the most responsive & agile frame that i can get away with allowing for geometry that is also an efficient uphill/long distance peddler when the time arises?

As i said before, I'm 5' 10" in height & have a leg inseam of 32 inches. I will be running Fox Float 140mm Forks too. From the geometry listed by various frame manufacturers on their websites it seems that my height puts me at the very top of 1 size & the very bottom of their next size up. From my limited knowledge & research so far (& suggestions fro suppliers) i have looked at the Ragley Blue Pig X, Cove Stiffee & Transition Trans AM, but i'm really new to this & would love some proper guidance please.

On the basis of my intended riding style & from what i have learnt so far, i would prefer to opt for a smaller, rather than a larger frame if i were to sit perfectly in the middle of 2 size ranges.

My 15" Orange Crush's Effective top tube length is 560mm, which is obviously too small seeing as i need the extended stem & seat position to get reasonably comfortable at the expense of handling & weighting the bike disproportionally at times......However, one thing i do really love about the 15" Crush's dimensions is that the stand over height is 705mm, which has already save my crown jewels a few times & allowed me to chuck the bike under & away during crashes.....Realistically though, this is the only part of the geometry that i really think works for me..... i just want to make sure that i get the right frame size this time.....Basically the smaller the better for chucking around, agility & weight, fitting my body shape like a glove without the need for extended stems/seats (Will be using a 50mm stem & normal seat position) & that doesn't sacrifice efficiency for the long hauls back up to the top again.

So, what Frames & sizes would you recommend me?

Please advise,

Thanks.

Comments