Twin child's trailer (for disc brake equipped bike with QR)

dogboy73
dogboy73 Posts: 440
edited November 2012 in Family & kids cycling forum
My wife bought a twin trailer from Big W. looked fine but I read on the box that it can't be used with bikes that have disc brakes and QR skewers! So we're going to take it back. Just wondering what make of trailer we should look at for hooking up to a bike with disc brakes. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance :wink:

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have a Burley Bee trailer which connects via the QR. I can't really see what a part a disc would play in the whole setup at all. It is really more about the shape of the dropout - that it can take the mounting/hitch for the trailer:

hitch_large.jpg

The pic above is Burley's "standard forged hitch" which works with disc setups. I can only imagine the trailer you have has a very different mounting system?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    dogboy73 wrote:
    My wife bought a twin trailer from Big W. looked fine but I read on the box that it can't be used with bikes that have disc brakes and QR skewers!

Why??? That would rule out 95%+ of bikes!

The only problem I have found with disk brakes is attaching the secondary strap, it tangles in the disk.

We have a Chariot Cougar 2, there is a thread in this section with a picture; we really like, as does my son.

When we were looking, I cannot recall seeing any trailers stating that disk brakes could not be used, nor QRs.
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    Levi_501 wrote:
    dogboy73 wrote:
    My wife bought a twin trailer from Big W. looked fine but I read on the box that it can't be used with bikes that have disc brakes and QR skewers!

Why??? That would rule out 95%+ of bikes!

The only problem I have found with disk brakes is attaching the secondary strap, it tangles in the disk.

We have a Chariot Cougar 2, there is a thread in this section with a picture; we really like, as does my son.

When we were looking, I cannot recall seeing any trailers stating that disk brakes could not be used, nor QRs.
    Daft isn't it. But that's what this one says. Must be really old! When my wide said she had ordered one I just assumed it wouldn't be a problem to attach, since disc brakes & QR's are fairly standard on most bikes these days, even cheapo ones. Anyway, this is what she came home with;

30920trailer.jpg

48924trailer2.jpg
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Looks very similar to my Halfrauds own brand double trailer which I attach to my QR disc brake rear wheel.....
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~