Dropper seat posts

bleasy
bleasy Posts: 98
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys thinking of getting a dropper seat post for my ragley blue pig and was wondering what people's thought wer about them and which one they recommend?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    After the Reba, the Reverb is best upgrade I've put on the bike (then wheels, tyres & brakes - in that order)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Reverb. Imo there is no other option atm, although the new thompson one looks like it'll be amazing, but probably pricey.
  • bleasy
    I was thinking the reverb
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Bike-Discount is your friend
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bleasy
    Yeh seen they wer cheaper on there.
  • I love my Reverb and wouldn't be without it... However it is possibly worth looking at a KS Lev which only came out recently? A good friend of mine has one and the lock-on integrated remote and the cable feed into the base of the post are really nice tidy upgrades :)

Both seem solid so far (although I've got 6 months ownership over him).
  • I've been using a reverb for about 6 months. Delighted. A couple of my riding buddies have been isinglass reverbs for over a year with no probs yet
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    KS Lev is longer drop than the Reverb, and has the cable in the right place (and it's a cable not a damn fool hydraulic pain-in-the-arse-waiting-to-happen), but not really seen enough of them yet to know what the long-term reliability's like. KS learned a lot from earlier posts though (early i900s were basket cases, late ones are every bit as reliable as the Reverb)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have a Giant dropper and a Reverb. Reverb is much better and the best one to go for from my experience. Look for one with the Black collar instead of the Silver as this is the latest version.
    2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
    2012 Canyon Strive ES8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Joplin 4s were good as well, but I don't think they actually make them anymore.
  • Northwind
    Aye, Joplin's been replaced with the comedy abortion that is the Kronolog.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am thinking of sticking a dropper on my hardtail as part of its rebuild and renovation but need a 27.2 so I am looking at grav droppers and KS - like the look of the Lev but I am thinking the grav droppers are a wee bit cheaper and I wasnt going full on pimp.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • My Reverb has now developed some vertical play after 5 months of pretty light use. Not best pleases as I never had this problem with the Jop, or the Gravity dropper, and they were much more used.
    I need to look into how to fix it pretty sharpish because I've read a few stories about how they tend to develop this play shortly before they assplode. Hopefully it'll be a relatively simple fix.

It's not a huge amount of notice, almost imperceivable most of the time. It's only when you hit a bump you really notice it. Has a similar feel to a worn pivot bearing, just that slight knocking.

Will consult the RS tech manuals and see what they have to say about it. Hopefully it'll just need a bit more air.

@ Paul - So far the GD is the best post I've owned. Lighter than the others, simple as a simple thing to adjust and service (not that it ever needed it) and works 1st time every time. It's ugly enough to make small children cry, but it does it's job superbly.

Go for the turbo version and move your nuts well out of the way when you press the lever because it's like a cannon going off. :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    I don't use my nuts much anyway so maybe the Turbo will remove them fromt he equation altogether.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Get a Crank Bros. Kronolog. Only kidding. Get a Reverb, they're the best out there IMHO.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Get a Crank Bros. Kronolog. Only kidding. Get a Reverb, they're the best out there IMHO.

AAARRGGHHHH!!!

Based on what?

What was it you like about the reverb that you didn't like about all the other ones when you tried them?

I have to say, Rockshox have done a SUPERB job of marketing on this one.
  • benpinnick
    Based on the fact that Kronologs already have a bad rep for reliability - my friend has already blown through 1. Ive owned a Joplin (developed lots of play) and tried a Command post which was ok but clunky. Gravity droppers are too ugly to consider IMHO so that leaves Hilo, KS and RS really. Of those, I would choose the RS as price wise its similar, and mine has been faultless since I bought it getting on for 2 years ago.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I've got a KS Lev so will be happy to post updates (hopefully positive) on its reliability. I chose it mainly due to the cable position, which allows for a very neat set-up; didn't like the idea of a cable/hose flapping about all over the place, or the cable connection being right in the firing line of crud off the back wheel. And also because it had the fewest bad comments. Every other post has bad stuff written about it. And yes, I know that the only reason this had the fewest is because it's very new :lol:

So far I've only ridden with it half a dozen times - I've never had a dropper before so it's taken a bit of getting used to - I'm finding it weird not having anything between my thighs :!: It started to feel a little rough after four very wet days' riding (and no cleaning or other attention) in Wales, but a quick clean and lube and it's back to silky smoothness. One thing I did find during installation is that when I installed the remote lever on the end of an ODI grip, it seemed to stop the cable return just before it should have, so the seat didn't go right up. I may have done the clamp up too tight, but I didn't want my grip flying off! So I moved it inboard a bit (better ergonomically for me anyway) and it's fine now.

Bought it from bike-components.de with no issues whatsoever, very quick delivery, and much cheaper than UK.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • elredso
    elredso Posts: 94
    best upgrade i ever made

no issues with my reverb at all, and it has taken a couple of big knocks - little bit of side to side movement, but its minimal and not noticeable really

got mine from ebya - there is a guy in Israel that sells them for £180 brand new

get the wrong side controller that you would want (eg if you want it on the left then get the right hand one) then you can mount it UNDER the bar - so it doesnt get damaged if you stack it :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fox doss - opinions.....

I know a few people who have had reverbs and now swear AT them......they either seem 100% relaible or failure ridden, no (un)happy medium!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    I think at £350 (ive not seen it cheaper) it would need to ride the bike for me...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • paul.skibum
    Well I am going Gravity Dropper or KS due to the need for a 27.2 - probably GD as having looked at their website they have the most amazing range of sizes and drops available and I need to work out what space I have for the drop and post and according to others they are ultra reliable.
  • Northwind
    Fox doss - opinions.....

Nobody's bought one because they cost as much as 2 reverbs, and do nothing special. But pretty favourable reviews- reliability seems good and racer-types seem to like the lever etc.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Fox doss - opinions.....

I know a few people who have had reverbs and now swear AT them......they either seem 100% relaible or failure ridden, no (un)happy medium!

If the DOSS had internal "stealth" routing and a better remote, I'd quite like the idea of it, but the remote is utter wank and so far my reverb has been faultless so see no need to recommend anything else.