BMC streetracer SR01 - views please

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
This bike is on offer for £999 a £300 saving

I was planning to wait until the new year to buy a bike but am very tempted by this offer.

I'm working to to a 100 mile ride next year so need a comfortable bike. I live 3 miles from the edge of the Brecon Beacons national park so was thinking of getting the triple to deal with the hills (a compact is available at the same price).

This is my first road bike so I would welcome your thoughts on the bike and also the gear choice.

Thanks 8)

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I haven't ridden the SR01 but have had the pleasure of riding the SLX01 for the last couple of years. Bmc mzke nice bikes, this is probably a good bike too.
  • I have had an SR01 Streetracer for a couple of months now with Tiagra compact groupset, and I've been enjoying every minute of it.

The ride is nice enough to enjoy longer rides, but allows for good acceleration in the traffic too (London commuter!).

I'm assuming from the price you're referring to a 105 groupset model, which at that discount is very tempting indeed. ;-)
  • danwhite wrote:
    I have had an SR01 Streetracer for a couple of months now with Tiagra compact groupset, and I've been enjoying every minute of it.

The ride is nice enough to enjoy longer rides, but allows for good acceleration in the traffic too (London commuter!).

I'm assuming from the price you're referring to a 105 groupset model, which at that discount is very tempting indeed. ;-)

It's on offer in Evans. I went into the Cardiff shop today and ordered a medium. It should be in the shop for me to test ride before the end of the week. Got the last triple in stock. There were some compacts so if it fits and don't like the triple I expect I'll get a compact. :D
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    My brother was looking for a new bike to get on cycle to work, tried a cube, specialized and cannondale before I recommended trying the BMC, he bought it the next day!

Its his first road bike and he's really pleased with it, and considering you get full 105 and a cracking frame if I had the chance I would definitely go for it.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I've got the one you are looking at, and have had mine for around 3 months.

its an excellent bike, does everything you ask of it, and is extremely fast. the only downside relatively speaking is the wheels are a little heavy, and the tyres are pretty good but nothing special.

i've tried the monetary equivlents from cannondale, specialized and boardman and fuji, and none are quite (in my view). as good.
  • I also have said bike and, for the price, am insanely happy with it. My only gripe is the rear wheel is a bit on the flexible side when giving it some oomph, but it's hardly realistic to expect it to come with lovely wheels for the price and it's not as if changing the wheels at a later date is going to be chore (a cost, yes, but easy home spanner-and-lockring-wotsit twiddling).
    Mangeur
  • looked at it myself, rode well but far to fugley in the colour i could get it at the time so didnt.
  • Thanks for your comment. I liked this bike but in the end I went for a specialized Roubaix. Picking it up today :D
  • I'm an experienced cyclist looking to buy a multi-purpose bike; recreational ride, but race (road/crit, but mostly for crit) ready if I feel the need. Had my choice narrowed down to Cannondale CAAD10-5, Felt F75 and BMC Streetracer SR01. Made the decision with the BMC because of the complete Shimano 105 drive train and the fact the frame looked different from others. Only thing that I'm changing immediately is the seat and the handle bar tape.....both feel uncomfortable and cheap. Ride is stiff and bike is probably over 1 LB heavier than others, but I'm good with that. I'm happy with my purchase.