Bruyneel/Shack

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Some stuff here (2 days ago) which looks interesting: (apologies if someone else already posted this)

http://inrng.com/2012/10/bruyneel-radioshack/

What on earth would be the point of Bruyneel contesting the USADA? Is he? Someone will know.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    Yes he is contesting the charges. Two reasons:
    (i) he was until yesterday earning €150k per month, so each month of delay was worth quite a lot
    (ii) he has an outside chance of reducing the ban to a two year suspension.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    (i) he was until yesterday earning €150k per month, so each month of delay was worth quite a lot

It's mostly reason (i) though - lives in Chelsea, kids at Public school. He'll be as unemployable as Manolo Saiz if his ban ever expires.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's mostly reason (i) though - lives in Chelsea, kids at Public school. He'll be as unemployable as Manolo Saiz if his ban ever expires.

nah, Savio will give him a job ;0)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Pays for about half a month of rent in Chelsea.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    What? Really? I didn't know Bruyneel lived in England. Actually that raises another point. I really don't have any idea about the law or jurisdiction. I take it that the people who are/might get a prison sentence will have to serve it in America?
  • rick_chasey
    Unfortunately I've yet to bump into Bruyneel in my trials and tribulations around SW London.
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    What? Really? I didn't know Bruyneel lived in England. Actually that raises another point. I really don't have any idea about the law or jurisdiction. I take it that the people who are/might get a prison sentence will have to serve it in America?
    Ask Roman Polanski how it works.

(I doubt anyone will be going to prison)
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

I don't see why they wouldn't prosecute LA for perjury.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    He could always ask the Ecuadorian embassy if they have room for one more.
  • nathancom
    afx237vi wrote:
    He could always ask the Ecuadorian embassy if they have room for one more.
    Could probably score some great drugs in South America too.
  • milton50
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Well, Armstrong lied under oath to get a ~£5m payout. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him on trial for perjury.
  • TheBigBean
    I believe the statute of limitations for perjury at both state and federal level is three years, so Armstrong will not have to answer to that. I'm suprised that this is not reported more - even Inner Ring seemed to imply a prosecution was possible.
  • milton50
    It wouldn't just be inrng who has misunderstood if you are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19921705

The BBC imply that he could be trialled for perjury. They also quote USADA as claiming that LA is "subject to the penalties of perjury."

So I'm not sure what's going on.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Yes but his London private wealth investor friends will have been busy with his money up til now.
  • TheBigBean
    Milton50 wrote:
    It wouldn't just be inrng who has misunderstood if you are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19921705

The BBC imply that he could be trialled for perjury. They also quote USADA as claiming that LA is "subject to the penalties of perjury."

So I'm not sure what's going on.

The reasoned descision states
    On November 30, 2005, three months after Mr. Stapleton testified in his deposition in the
    SCA arbitration proceeding, Lance Armstrong testified under oath and subject to the penalties of
    perjury in his deposition and was asked the following questions, and gave the following answers

This is true i.e. when he testified it was subject to the penalties of perjury. Now sufficient time has past, so there is no penalty.
  • nathancom
    Fair enough, a shame though because it is a relatively serious example of perjury. Can he be tried for defrauding SCA?
  • TheBigBean
    Sadly, I don't think so.

He may well be called as a witness in the Bruyneel case which would be under oath, but his lawyers will advise him what to say, so he is unlikely to perjure himself. I expect a lot of "can't quite recall" and 5th amendment stlye non-answers. Althought I think the 5th is supposed to protect you from self-incrimmination rather than reputationally damaging statements, so it might be an interesting testimonial.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Yes but his London private wealth investor friends will have been busy with his money up til now.

Busy doesn't mean making money, especially in these markets ;).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    It's mostly reason (i) though - lives in Chelsea, kids at Public school.
    He'll be as unemployable as Manolo Saiz if his ban ever expires.
    Saiz hasn’t yet been banned. Of course, he might well in January, when the Puerto trial comes about.

When Fuentes was arrested, and Liberty Seguros withdrew as sponsor of Saiz’s team, and Vino arranged that Astana could become the new sponsor, Saiz stepped down as DS so there wouldn’t be any problems in getting the ProTour licence.
    He’s said he’d like to return to cycling management, but he doesn’t think it’ll ever come about. I suppose he too realises that, ban or not, sponsors would be reluctant to back any new Saiz team.
    He nowadays runs a restaurant at Torrelavega, near Santander in Spain (Torrelevega is also Freire’s hometown).

Saiz might be pleased with recent developments; he highly disliked LA, once saying he had no respect for him as a person and that if he met LA on the street he’d never shake his hand. And also it makes things a bit closer to ‘all square’ on the doping front.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    It's mostly reason (i) though - lives in Chelsea, kids at Public school.
    He'll be as unemployable as Manolo Saiz if his ban ever expires.
    Saiz hasn’t yet been banned. Of course, he might well in January, when the Puerto trial comes about.

When Fuentes was arrested, and Liberty Seguros withdrew as sponsor of Saiz’s team, and Vino arranged that Astana could become the new sponsor, Saiz stepped down as DS so there wouldn’t be any problems in getting the ProTour licence.
    He’s said he’d like to return to cycling management, but he doesn’t think it’ll ever come about. I suppose he too realises that, ban or not, sponsors would be reluctant to back any new Saiz team.
    But that's exactly my point. Even though he's never been banned, he's completely unemployable in cycling. Bruyneel will be the same regardless of what ban he gets.