Mudguards and pannier rack

dustinseymourhoffman
edited October 2012 in The workshop
Hi just looking for a bit of advice. I have a ridgeback platinum with mudguards already on it. I would also like to add a pannier rack too but there is only one eyelet that the mudguards are already going through. Is it possible to use the same whole for both but by just using a longer screw? any help would be great!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yes, be careful with the driveside bolt, make sure it doesn't foul the cassette.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks redvee that's great. Let the hunt for a correctly sized screw in b&q commence!
  • Have done the same without any problem, but as redvee says make sure there's enough clearance between the bolt and cassette. Also make sure the rack is mounted first i.e. against the frame and then then mudguards stays.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    M5....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I used M5 x 16mm, ebay for a bag of 10 cheaper than B&Q for one.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And stainless cost little more than rusty (or rusty in 5 months!) ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Don't go to B&Q, they'll charge you silly money for a bubble pack of bolts made of cheese, look for your local fastener supplier and you can get bolts in stainless for about 20-50p a pop. Use some copper grease on them and a spring washer.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Big_Paul wrote:
    look for your local fastener supplier and you can get bolts in stainless for about 20-50p a pop.

I've bought nuts & bolts from mine, sometimes I've paid, £1, other times when I've had the odd nut or bolt I haven't despite offering the £1 has been refused.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.