Replacing Carbon CX with Carbon Road + Alloy CX

simonj
simonj Posts: 346
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

I've been using my Cannondale SuperX Ultegra for a while and love it as a bike, but it's not as good as a dedicated Road bike and not that practicle for commuting due to not having eyelets. So have decided to get rid of the SuperX, have bought a Super Six to use for the road and am now looking for a CX to use for toe path, getting to workand having my daughter on the back with a kiddy seat on the pannier.

My shortlist is currently :-

Canondale CAADX 5 105 £1100 > £880 20% off
Trek ION CX Pro > £1600 > £1200 25% off
Kona Jake the Snake 105/Ultegra £1400 > £988 30% off (DE)
Giant TCX 1 Rival - £1500 > £1100 27% off - No eylets?!

I think the Giant is out for having no eyelets, can someone confirm? If so that leaves the CAADX, ION CX and Jake the Snake. Anyone have any advice? Does anyone know the weights at all as I can't find them and this may help me choose between? I don't want discs as would rather have a lighter bike.

Comments

• I have a Super Six for road use and also have a Super X for cross. I use an older Alloy Cannondale 1000 cross for winter duties.

You will find the alloy cross bike a lot harsher than the superx. I would go for the Kona or Dale out of your choice.

Rich..
    Cannondales
    SuperSix Hi Mod Sram Red
    Super X Ultegra
    Tourine XT / XTR
    CX 1000 Disk Ultegra (Winter Hack)
    And an Empella SL Bonfire
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    I think the Giant is out for having no eyelets, can someone confirm?
    Correct. The forks on a TCX 2 and TCX 3 have eyelets. Unfortunately the TCX 1's fork doesn't. If your LBS is flexible, they could put a TCX 2's fork on a TCX 1 for you :) Or you can always buy a fork that specifically has eyelets like a Kinesis DC07, Kinesis PureCX or Easton EC90X.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Cheers guys, that helps quite a bit. The TCX 1 is out then. Thanks about the alloy harshness comment, I rememebr that from my hybrid, unfortunately I would have kept my SuperX if it could have taken mudguards and a panier, but I know of no carbon CX's that do that.

I may also be throwing the Ridley X Box 105 in the mix also.