Disc brake n00b

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Ok so my disc brake pads need to be changed soon and I am aware that you have a few different types of pad like organic and what not. Im confused as to what type of pad to get. I don't have a clue what type of pad is already on the bike. What effect do different types of pads have on the breaking efficiency of the bike? I'm at a bit of a loose end really. :mrgreen:
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Basically it's about compounds. Sintered are hard compound, so will last longer and resist mud better but can overheat more easily and don't always have the best power/feel. Organic are the opposite- soft, sometimes short lived, especially if you have gritty mud to deal with

If you're unsure, kevlar pads might make sense- Superstar sell them pretty cheaply and they're a good halfway house- decent life, good performance, don't really have the drawbacks of either of the other 2. But, they can be very noisy in the cold and wet, which some folks hate.

Also they're really touchy about breaking in- normal pads, you pretty much just break them in til they feel good. But kevlars can feel good even when they're not bedded in, then they can glaze up (in the dry) or wear super fast (in the wet). So you kinda have to bed them in just like you would a sintered pad.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Cheers mate glad I got that cleared up!
    :D
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7