Riding on the drops and bike sizing: a compromise?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
This is all pretty theoretical for me, as I can't afford a new bike for a while, but I was wondering about frame/stem sizing when it comes to riding on the drops. I think my present, do-all bike is a pretty decent fit for me, all things considered, but I do find that any time I want to ride on the drops when pedalling (freewheeling downhill is fine) that I feel pretty bunched up in the torso. In addition, my quads seem to tire much more quickly than when on the hoods. Is it a question of sorting out bike fit to be a good compromise for all riding positions or is it simply a case of practice?

Cheers

Comments

• It could be a problem with saddle position, maybe wrong height, but more likely wrong fore/aft positioning.
    Could also be wrong bar position or just wrong size but unlikely if you are comfortable otherwise.
    The leg tiring is most likely fore/aft location of the saddle or where you are sitting on the saddle. I recommend just experimenting with the position of the saddle and bars (rotate them to move the drops) and seeing if it helps.
    If not, someone will probably provide more useful help than me within a couple of days.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    This is a nice informative video which explains the thinking behind a bike fit and good saddle positioning etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAl_5e7bIHk

Always remember that everyone is different and soem people have longer femurs etc or shorter/longer reach etc, so always go with what is the most comfortable position for you, even if it goes against the grain :)

Regards,

Jay.
  • Thanks you two! Saddle fore and aft positioning is one of the few aspects I have not fiddled with, and that video gives a good tip on how to measure it. I wonder if it may also have something to do with the 3T Ergonova bars I use as they are short reach and perhaps I could do with something with a slightly bigger stretch for when in the drops?