Pitch black riding

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Has anyone on here set out to ride in the dark if so how did it go? me and a few of my mates are contemplating it. Its just that we don't want to get totally lost in the dark in the middle of some forest. Obviously we are gonna use lights. Seems like a good idea. :roll:
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    Has anyone on here set out to ride in the dark if so how did it go? me and a few of my mates are contemplating it. Its just that we don't want to get totally lost in the dark in the middle of some forest. Obviously we are gonna use lights. Seems like a good idea. :roll:

So is your question does anyone ride at night? Really?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It used to be compulsory in the early days for off roading, lights were more hinderance than help.

Couple of years ago on a day ride in December over near Wendover we decided to ride for a couple of hours on a below freezing moonless night without lights, it was a great laugh.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Whoops!
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use night vision goggles or eat a lot of carrots.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Thought you would use supersonic sonar radar
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hahahaha I see how much of an arse i am for asking this question hahahaha
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Night riding off road is incredible and can make some of the more boring stuff exciting! Get out there and do it!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • I'm a big guy and built for speed not climbing but in dark all hills were made easy. Really illustrates the mental aspects involved and how it can be a hinderance.

We used Old Petzls head torches with normal bulbs when we wanted light. Could be pretty exciting in a group plus head torches allowes retaliation to drivers who keep main beam on
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It opens up a whole new world...really.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Three torches finally set up right this mornin, light riding in daylight, lovely.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • a few years back we went out to cover some green lanes in the Peaks, 10 minutes into the ride my mate went into a gate, he broke is arm and was off work for 8 weeks. he had head lights on :D going a little to quick i must admit...
    but it was total black night.. and he never saw the gate unitl after he hit it... :oops:
  • I'd pick a route / woods you are familiar with, no matter how well lit you are places look different at night, I'm always missing turns and having to double back.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It's the only sort of riding I do for about six months of the year! All you need is decent lights, spare batteries, and spare decent lights. And spare batteries for the spare decent lights
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Cree q5 is junk plenty of links to good lights in the what light thread. Personally, I like enough light to ride almost as fast as I do in day time and wildlife aside that takes a fair bit of light. At east 800 lumen I'd say. Ideally you want a Cree XML based light rather than anything older. Still don't need to spend more tha pn a tender per light and another tender on charger etc.
  • Giraffoto
    diy wrote:
    . . .Still don't need to spend more than a tenner per light and another tenner on charger etc.

Since it's what stands between you and a total blackout on a fast stretch of mud, it's worth spending a few quid more! Consider these . . .
    • LED Lenser P7 - £35 + batteries + charger - £50 or so. Good helmet light with its spot beam
    • Ultrafire etc. - £20 + batteries + charger + mount - £45 or so if you get good 18650s. Not bad as a main light, not the best though
    • Fenix etc. - £50, + already got the batteries etc.. Still not the best of the best, but good enough for the woods at night if you're not racing. Better beam than the Ultrafire
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A P7 Lenser would not be on my short list. 200 Lumen and AAA powered is a no no for me. There are also plenty of Fenix clones around for a fraction of the cost.

I have 501b Utrafires, that have been running for 5 years without fault. and at £7 for one that does 400ish Lumen its a no brainer having more output, higher cell density, less weight and lower cost than the P7. I run 4 to avoid single point of failure, so an individual light failing would not cause a problem.
  • Giraffoto
    Each to their own, as long as their own is bright enough! My decisions were largely informed by what I had already - loads of AA and AAA rechargeables meant that the LED Lenser was an obvious candidate, since it could do both bars (wide-ish setting) and head (spot). Your experience and cupboard full of batteries may vary . . .
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Cheers, I didn't find that 'what lights' thread particularly user friendly to be honest!

Think I kind of worked it out. Would it be ok to buy two 900 lumen torches? Stick one on the bars and one on the helmet? It looks like can alter the beams, so would have the one on the bars as more of a flood and a spot on the helmet.

Then just a matter of buying batteries and a charger from the links and off I go?!

Cheers
  • Giraffoto
    Concorde wrote:
    Would it be ok to buy two 900 lumen torches? Stick one on the bars and one on the helmet?
    Yes, that's a popular way to do it, and it works for me. The Ultrafire torches on the "What Lights" link are OK.
    Concorde wrote:
    It looks like can alter the beams, so would have the one on the bars as more of a flood and a spot on the helmet.
    You can't alter the beam on the Ultrafires, you can only alter the brightness (or have it flashing). The LED Lenser can be focused from wide to spot, but as has already been pointed out, it's a different type of battery
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    What Lights... the DIY guide
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    Would it be ok to buy two 900 lumen torches? Stick one on the bars and one on the helmet?
    Yes, that's a popular way to do it, and it works for me. The Ultrafire torches on the "What Lights" link are OK.
    Concorde wrote:
    It looks like can alter the beams, so would have the one on the bars as more of a flood and a spot on the helmet.
    You can't alter the beam on the Ultrafires, you can only alter the brightness (or have it flashing). The LED Lenser can be focused from wide to spot, but as has already been pointed out, it's a different type of battery

Ok cheers, think I've decided on a way I want to do it. Flood type light on the bars (1200Lm) and a torch on my lid (900Lm) - Should do the trick, £50 all in, with charger, battery etc etc
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Concorde, any links to what you're going for? Cheers.