Best "cheap" xc tyre (£20 or less)

Shooting mike
Shooting mike Posts: 54
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I Need to make my 2012 Carerra Vulcan lighter and less draggy. I've spent ages looking on here at posts about tyres. Whilst I hate slippy tyres that make you nervous about cornering, the stock tyres on the bike are really draggy, heavy and have huge lugs that seem reluctant to shed mud. I manly ride local trails that can be hard pack, mud patches, old colliery spoils (pit slag) or at sherwood pines. Rocks and roots don't really feature.

So, with a limited budget of 20 quid per tyre or less, I've looked at:

Wire bead fire xc's
Wire bead mountain king 2 (non chilli obviously) (puncture too easily??)
Rubber queens
Bontrager xr4 (over the top??)
Bontrager xr2 (not enough?)

I'm thinking the xc's as an overall do it all tyre but can anyone offer their opinions on any of the above or indeed recommend something else??
Many thanks.

Comments

• We all ride in different places over differing terrain. Ask in the bike shop at Sherwood Pines. They will know what most people favour tyre wise around there. Better the views of countless locals than a handful of Friday night fruitloops that populate this forum, myself included.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Anyone sad enough to be posting at this time on a Friday night should not be trusted with anything more than a plastic spoon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But look for folding tyres - lighter and generally use better compounds
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I had the MK 2's on my bike as stock, awful tyres that inspire no confidence at all, especially in the wet and if there's any mud they are hopeless.

Currently running the Fire XC Pro's which are a great all round tyre! But as said ask around locally.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can pick up folding XC pro's for just a little over £20 with some patience, save about 100g an end over wired!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are not upgrading to folding beads then don't bother.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Sherwood trails are pretty grippy from my experience... and flat.. So speed is going to be the key to enjoyment along with some moderate cornering grip...

I'd choose something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9758
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838