0% finance

bikeus mikeus
bikeus mikeus Posts: 241
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi, Where do 0% over 36 month for a 1k purchase. All terrain do, any others?

Mick.
Cinelli saetta
Giant talon 29er
Dolan e'tape
Gt zaskar

Comments

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Be a credit card whore, it's usually cheaper
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • A good thing about Stif is that they will let you do your finance agreement online without the one week turnaround to send out and return DD and finance papers. Speeds everything up

No biggy, unless you're in a hurry
  • Or hit your boss up for the cycle to work scheme, 1K purchase becomes £650 purchase, admittedly this will be 0% over 1 year but the saving...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

How can a credit card be cheaper when OP is after 0% finance?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Briggo wrote:

How can a credit card be cheaper when OP is after 0% finance?

Because you can buy the bike at the cheapest possible price (often not where 0% finance is available) and then be clever with moving your debt around onto cards with 0% interest rates (often a available when taking a card for the first time).

Not recommended if you're not great with being disciplined to keep on top of it and pay it off though.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ^^^^^this
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You never get the best deals with 0% finance. A credit card lets you buy where the best deal is so you get the cheap bike with no interest.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    + 1 for the credit card, I have done it before.

At 0% you pay the full price for the bike, usually by paying cash or card for it you get a better deal. An example I had was the bike was £1800 if I wanted it for 0%, I bought it with card and got it for £1500. As soon as I bought it I transferred the purchase to a card with 18 months 0%. As said above though, you have to be rigid with the payments and figure out an 18 (or less) month payment plan.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Don't forget to factor in fees on credit cards. Normally 2-3% when doing a balance transfer. Should still be cheaper than finance IF you get sufficient discount.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    the key element here is having the discipline to pay off the CC and not spend more on it

at least with a loan that is not an option
  • Hi, Where do 0% over 36 month for a 1k purchase. All terrain do, any others?

Mick.

I think www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/ does as well. Though if you have to pay over such a long time the reality sadly is you should be looking at a cheaper bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hi, Where do 0% over 36 month for a 1k purchase. All terrain do, any others?

Mick.

Though if you have to pay over such a long time the reality sadly is you should be looking at a cheaper bike.

Surely that's the buyers choice? I'm paying over three years for my bike, just keeps the payments low and with no interest it's not costing anything. I could pay over 12 months but then I have less to spend on beer & hookers.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Another advantage of using a card is the ability to pay off the debt in early without penalty. Often a finance deal restricts this or has an exit fee.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • just keeps the payments low and with no interest it's not costing anything. I could pay over 12 months but then I have less to spend on beer & hookers.

0% finance is really just a way fooling people in to thinking your getting something for free. However the reality is you have already paid for it. The problem is finance is not free and some one has to pay. This cost in the end is passed back to the buyer. You will always get the bike cheaper if your willing to pay outright. This is why already reduced bikes on some sites are not offered at 0%.