Is finish line dry supposed to be a white runny liquid?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 754
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
On My mountain bike I always use finish line wet. This is a thickish liquid, and I put one drop on every link in the chain. Today I oiled the chain on my road bike for the first time. I used finish line dry. It seems to be a very runny white liquid that dribbles out of the bottle. It was impossible to put a single drop on each link and so I just ran the chain while pouring the liquid out onto it. Is this the proper way to use this stuff? Seems rather wasteful and I'm not sure how much even got on the chain. I wiped the chain afterwards. I am worried I have not lubricated my chain.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• Dry lubes are PTFE suspended in a solvent, the runny solvent carries the ptfe into all the nooks & crannies and then evaporates leaving the PTFE behind.
    I'm not a fan myself and as you say and can be a bugger to apply, I put up with the occasional chainring leg imprint that wet lubes produce.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Is this one of the wax type lubes? I'm using a wax one at the moment(can't remember the name sorry) and if it's too warm, it pours out like water, wasting more than you use.
    And if it's too cold,it's no fun using it either.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It's supposed to be white and runny. It's not a wax lube. I've never had any issues applying it - a dot on each link works well and it lasts for ages.
    More problems but still living....
  • Have you tried giving the bottle a good shake as I think mine did this as it had separated a bit.
  • It IS white & runny. Great stuff too. When I'm using this I can fully cross-chain my MTB with no problem & even very little noise!

I apply it to a running chain & on BOTH sides. :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yes. The 'dry' bit does not relate to the product appearance/consistency it relates to the conditions it is designed to be used in i.e not in the wet.

I have been using it all year without issue, just put a rag under the chain when applying it to catch/soak up any drips.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Has anyone used ceramic lube? Is it as good as claimed or just hype? Also I don't like the fact that it is said to make your chain black, wonder how bad is that and is it just temporary?
  • ianshotton wrote:
    Have you tried giving the bottle a good shake as I think mine did this as it had separated a bit.

Indeed, this is what a bottle of White Lightning Clean Ride looks like without being shaken

waxlube.jpg

Can't say how good this stuff is yet... I'm just finishing my bottle of of Finish Line dry
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I did shake the bottle. I will go with the rag under the chain idea and see how i get on.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    nolight wrote:
    Also I don't like the fact that it is said to make your chain black, wonder how bad is that and is it just temporary?
    Thats just the visual appearance of the dried ceramic film on the metal. Theres nothing 'bad' about it, only we are programmed to be attracted to bright shiny things ;)