Boardman Suspension Bolt Torque

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
What with all the talk of the pivot bolts working loose on FS Boardmans, I was going to put some loctite on the threads as a precaution. However, I can't find any details anywhere for the correct torque values for the bolts. My local Halfords don't know and there is little or no information on the Boardman website, Boardman also haven't responded to my emails. Can't find the info searching the web either. Does anyone know what the torque values are?

Also, the suspension pivot at the bottom of the seat tube next to the bottom bracket has a slight play in it, not side to side but when you pick the bike up vertically there is a small play up and down. Is this anything I should be worried about?

The bike is a 2011/2012 FS Team.

Thanks
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is the play in the pivot or the shock bushing? Shock bushing would be more likely in that time, and cheap and simple to sort out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    It's in the pivot. Like I say it doesn't have any play laterally, just vertically, it feels like the bolt is too small if that makes any sense.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Torque is determined by thread size and material.

see what you have and look it up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    ElliesDad wrote:
    It's in the pivot. Like I say it doesn't have any play laterally, just vertically, it feels like the bolt is too small if that makes any sense.
    Double check - one can feel like the other. But otherwise new bearing time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    Hmm, the bike is only just over a month old, I'll have a good look over the weekend. It's definitely the pivot bolt that connects the chain stay to the bottom bracket.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    The pivot bolt behind the chainring came loose on mine so back to halfords it went for them to sort it out. I'd like to check the torque settings myself but there's no info available.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • cooldad
    Just tighten it up. You need to check all bolts etc regularly anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zanush
    The one behind the chainring is awkward though, no access unless you remove the cranks to get to it...i just thought sod it halfords can do it lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • cooldad
    I can never understand that. Fifteen minutes to sort it out takes less time than taking it into the shop.
    You don't even have to get dressed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • zanush
    I noticed it when slinging it back in the car after a ride and pass halfords anyway so not an inconveinence for me tbh
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • ElliesDad
    Got mine sorted, the trick with the bottom pivot bolt behind the chain ring (to avoid taking off the chain ring) is to use a ball end type allen key on that side. You can get this between the chain teeth at an angle, then just tighten up from the other side. Simples!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2