Setting up rear mech.

Jim Lyon
Jim Lyon Posts: 72
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi!
I understand the basics of setting one up, but why & how do you set up the "B" screw?
While it's probably irrelevant, on the grounds it's better to give too much info. in this situation, rather than not enough, this is for a Trek 820 MTB set up for road use with front sprockets being 28 / 38 / 50 & Shimano HG rear cassette is 12 - 28 T. The chain is 110 links long & the rear mech. is Shimano Exage 300LX - TIA !

Cheers,
Jim

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The B screw moves the uper pulley away from the cassette, I believe it should about 1.5 links away.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Jim Lyon wrote:
    Hi!
    I understand the basics of setting one up, but why & how do you set up the "B" screw?
    While it's probably irrelevant, on the grounds it's better to give too much info. in this situation, rather than not enough, this is for a Trek 820 MTB set up for road use with front sprockets being 28 / 38 / 50 & Shimano HG rear cassette is 12 - 28 T. The chain is 110 links long & the rear mech. is Shimano Exage 300LX - TIA !

Cheers,
    Jim
    why is the chain 110 links long?

as mentioned the B screw moved the position of the top jockey wheel.

read the info on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown