Jobs for the weekend?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
so what you all doing this weekend?

i'm told (by my foreman - aka my mrs) i am laying a gravel path through the garden an up the side of the house over the weekend, oh an also building a wardrobe to enclose the boiler in

anyone else got plans?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• mudcow007 wrote:
    so what you all doing this weekend?

i'm told (by my foreman - aka my mrs) i am laying a gravel path through the garden an up the side of the house over the weekend, oh an also building a wardrobe to enclose the boiler in

anyone else got plans?

That's not a very nice way to talk about your good wife.

Sounds as if you are a better layer than DrLex's chickens. :?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Give the kitchen work surfaces a rub down and re-oil. Christ, they need it.

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Anybody recommend the best way to prep wooden surfaces for oiling?

Cheers,
    FJ
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'm tasked with clearing out the garage with a couple of runs to the tip, then i have to 'finish' the kitchen by rubbing down and painting the door frames and window sill. I personally think the next person to live there can do it and it has a certain shabby chic look which is very en vogue, but what do i know? How come they get to go on sex strike anyway?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Admin for me - Bills, filling, etc. Bit of a coffee break in the afternoon somwhere and then out.

So no real jobs for me (I bet she has something else planned though).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Working at a CBeebies Mr Bloom event in Sheffield on Saturday. I'm the designated first aider, and I'm also in charge of the small petting animals exhibit and the beehive (even though I'm bee-phobic). So I'll either be running away from stray bees, or snapping at children who've got nipped by a ferret or something.

On Sunday I'm making a wooden garden gate and some coffee and walnut cake :-)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • FoldingJoe wrote:

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Cheers,
    FJ
    Bizarrely already bindun over in Commuting General
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    tempted to chase people around london dressed like a zombie http://2.8hourslater.com/

but more likely to be found on the sofa relaxing with a hangover
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    msmancunia wrote:
    Working at a CBeebies Mr Bloom event in Sheffield on Saturday. I'm the designated first aider, and I'm also in charge of the small petting animals exhibit and the beehive (even though I'm bee-phobic). So I'll either be running away from stray bees, or snapping at children who've got nipped by a ferret or something.

Tending to a swelling in Mr Bloom's vegetable patch, eh? I know a number of Mums who would kill for that opportunity....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Cheers,
    FJ

the company i work for make bespoken oak furniture (no we arnt oak warehouse or what ever they are called) but these guys use something called Osmo

Linky
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Getting up late, riding bikes, drinking beer and watching TV in that order x 2 days thanks very much.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    mudcow007 wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Cheers,
    FJ

the company i work for make bespoken oak furniture (no we arnt oak warehouse or what ever they are called) but these guys use something called Osmo

Linky

Yeah, we've got Osmo for the window frames and some Danish oil or other for the kitchen surfaces.

Just not sure on the best way to prep the wood for oiling, but will check out the links.

Ta
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    msmancunia wrote:

Tending to a swelling in Mr Bloom's vegetable patch, eh? I know a number of Mums who would kill for that opportunity....

I just googled - I had no idea : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... cing.html#

Maybe I'll have to be a bouncer to keep them all at a safe distance.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Getting up early, riding my bike and playing Dishonored (sic).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,314
    Never has my brownie point account been so much in credit

Saturday = Nothing.
    Sunday = Nothing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228

I'm tempted by Dishonored - be interested to hear your thoughts...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Never has my brownie point account been so much in credit

Saturday = Nothing.
    Sunday = Nothing.

Surely you'll have to 'clear those tubes' at some stage? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

I'm tempted by Dishonored - be interested to hear your thoughts...

+1

Oh and I'm going to be cleaning up the (unavoidable) mess left by the guys who had to dig up the mains feed into my house as it had finally given up the ghost.

It turns out that when the mains was relaid some pratt clipped the cable coming into the house. This would explain the unexpected brown outs I've been experiencing since moving here.

Hey ho.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Cheers,
    FJ

Linky

Yeah, we've got Osmo for the window frames and some Danish oil or other for the kitchen surfaces.

Just not sure on the best way to prep the wood for oiling, but will check out the links.

Ta

Osmo's good stuff. We spec it routinely.

Me? It's the youngest's 1st birthday (already!?) and we seem to have invited about 30 friends and family :shock: Hope the rain holds off, or it is going to get very cozy at Chez RJS.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Building a Condor Italia (bought for a mate off of here), with Tiagra, Planet X Model B's or Aksiums and other random bits I have floating round the house. Recabling my winter bike (cables are so worn the outers have started to crack). Truing single speed wheels, replacing brake pads. Gluing some tubs. Working out where the squeak is on my race bike and sorting out the saddle position.

No doubt the missus has me down for some tasks that benefit the rest of the family too...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Building my meat smoker out of a stainless steel cider barrell. Testing it (all being well) on a huge hunk of pork loin on Sunday.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I've got a Briggs & Stratton powered garden tractor/mower which needs a fettle, then hopefully last mow of the season for garden and paddock. Then a night-shift on Saturday followed by chilling on Sunday.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • msmancunia wrote:

Can you get anywhere near Katy (Ashworth), tell her I love her a snip a bit of hair off for me.

1st birthday party on Saturday, big clear up Sunday
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Sitting on my ass recovering, and moving round slowly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the red bull stratos jump is at some point (13:00 on Sunday I think)

Might ride the bike.
    Studying
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Can't do any of the many jobs I should be doing as I still have my hand in a splint.
  • Tidying the house, visiting my brother and packing for holidays on thursday - mostly done - also fitted up my carradice support on the Genesis - now over to the folks place for a ruby in joint celebration of mums/wifes/my birthdays. Could be worse.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,314
    SimonAH wrote:
    Building my meat smoker out of a stainless steel cider barrell. Testing it (all being well) on a huge hunk of pork loin on Sunday.

Not my business but this deserves it's own thread.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SimonAH wrote:

Not my business but this deserves it's own thread.....

+1
    I'd be interested in that...
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I shall post with pics...

Problem is I'm short of some 3/4"" steel (pref stainless) pipe and a trawl of DIY places this afternoon failed to come up trumps so the inaugral smoke delayed :-( Proper plumber's merchants on Monday......

Watch this space.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    msmancunia wrote:

Can you get anywhere near Katy (Ashworth), tell her I love her a snip a bit of hair off for me.

1st birthday party on Saturday, big clear up Sunday

Snap. Dishwasher has being doing overtime today, but we are now finally just about done. House feels very empty after yesterday.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition