WHY DOESN'T HE JUST FESS UP?

pedro118118
pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Two big reasons I suppose: -

a) This would confirm he committed perjury in 2005, so could end up doing porridge (a la Marion Jones); and
b) Financial consequences would be considerable, even for a man of his wealth.

What a mess...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19921705

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He is incredibly pig-headed and doesn't think he's done anything wrong.

That's the reason.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    He is incredibly pig-headed and doesn't think he's done anything wrong.

That's the reason.
    When he arrived in Europe in 1992 to the Hype of his backers as being great, he soon became known as the Bigheaded S.O.B. but until 1996 he failed. (except in his own mind)
    He was never the humble domestic and so for 20 years he has been a leader that can do no wrong.
    This Century the media have made him what he is and you cannot expect him to change overnight.

He has to be hurt in the pocket before he realises he is just another bum that can fess up.
    Now the ball is rolling it might take a little time yet.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Rich is right - pig headed

if he says nothing then he can carry on with the Triathlons that don't need a licence, he carries on with his cancer awareness and charity work. Unless someone can prove that he broke the law to defraud - and nab him in court - then he still keeps his house and all that. so he says nothing which is his best bet for maintaining the status quo for as long as possible
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I think he genuinely believes he has done no wrong. I think if you read Tyler's book it touches on this. They lie so much they convince themselves they are telling the truth
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Can a man who has been spouting off to anyone willing to listen that Floyd and Tyler were serial liars (and hence couldn't be trusted) because they claimed to be clean for years, then suddenly admitted to everything, do the same thing?

I've known plenty of people with the sort of personality where they believe they are never wrong, no matter what happens. In Lance's case he could use the "everyone was doing it" and "level the playing field" rubbish, but I doubt he would ever be willing to use the word cheat.

Of course, what would be interesting is if he ends up facing jail and starts naming names. Imagine what might happen if he started making revelations about his relationship with the UCI, all the riders he knew were on something, etc. I could see Lance having the mentality of taking down as many people with him as he could.
  • dortmunder wrote:
    I think he genuinely believes he has done no wrong.
    I don't know what that means. Help?
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Lance Edward Gunderson in Yellow, this is how he perceives himself folks...
    557245_10151264947524524_7043222_n.jpg

He didn't much like other people on his podium and as for having to share a podium with Contador with Bertie on the top step well surely that was the stuff of nightmares :x
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    He is in denial ... Quite sad really
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited October 2012
    These kinds of people – narcissists, cheats, abusers – never really say sorry. Instead they attempt to force closure on a situation they no longer have control over. He is doing this by questioning the integrity of USADA (via his lawyers of course) refusing to cooperate and walking away form the situation, with the attitude of someone who's time is more valuable spent elsewhere on more important things. It's all a bluff, poker. He's been nailed in the cycling world and so he withdraws to surround himself instead with willing acolytes elsewhere who will reinforce his wishful self-image.

He is psychologically flawed with a personality disorder than compels him to dominate others. "The Boss" indeed.
  • These kinds of people – narcissists, cheats, abusers – never really say sorry. Instead they attempt to force closure on a situation they no longer have control over. He is doing this by questioning the integrity of USADA (via his lawyers of course) refusing to cooperate and walking away form the situation, with the attitude of someone who's time is more valuable spent elsewhere on more important things. It's all a bluff, poker. He's been nailed and so he withdraws to surround himself instead with willing acolytes who will reinforce his wishful self-image.

He is psychologically flawed with a personality disorder than compels him to dominate others. "The Boss" indeed.

This.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    dortmunder wrote:
    They lie so much they convince themselves they are telling the truth

I think there's an element of this. He has had to block out the truth for so many years, under quite significant public inquisition, that it has become overwhelmingly difficult for him to admit that he is guilty. I think that is partly down to those he surrounds hismelf with: people who consistently tell him he is a legend and a hero.

I also think he's come to the point now where he just thinks "I've come this far, why go back now?" The people who hate Armstrong aren't going to change their view of him if confesses. Whereas if he continues to deny it then he'll still have thousands of believers keeping him on his pedastal.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    These kinds of people – narcissists, cheats, abusers – never really say sorry. Instead they attempt to force closure on a situation they no longer have control over. He is doing this by questioning the integrity of USADA (via his lawyers of course) refusing to cooperate and walking away form the situation, with the attitude of someone who's time is more valuable spent elsewhere on more important things. It's all a bluff, poker. He's been nailed in the cycling world and so he withdraws to surround himself instead with willing acolytes elsewhere who will reinforce his wishful self-image.

There's only one Boss ..... Eddie Boss
    65722_10150708977034524_1237772425_n.jpg

Took this pic of his win at the Tour of the Algarve this year, now he is a nice chap..... and clean I believe :P
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Lance Edward Gunderson in Yellow, this is how he perceives himself folks...
    557245_10151264947524524_7043222_n.jpg

He didn't much like other people on his podium and as for having to share a podium with Contador with Bertie on the top step well surely that was the stuff of nightmares :x

That image reminds me of Ozymandias.

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
    And on the pedestal these words appear --
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

© Percy Bysshe Shelley

About says it all, really.
  • I think its probably to do with the fact to admit it, would also mean he was guilty of perjury. In a case where he sued an insurance company for $5,000,000 which USPS had taken out against him winning his 6th TDF he stated under oath that he had never taken PED's and no longer had a relationship with Ferrari.

The Yanks may not take PED's that seriously, but they sure as hell dont like perjury. Ask Marion Jones
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Yeah, what would he have to gain by taking part in the media circus surrounding everything now. He is clearly trying to salvage as much as possible from this wreckage and he will do that best by keeping his mouth shut.

I have been surprised by the impact the report had on the wider public which most people won't have even looked at. It really seems like this time LA's lies have lost their power to convince the US public. Here in the UK the spell seems to have been broken much earlier.

Travis Tygart really should be given a medal!
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Nail on the head.

The man has a serious personality disorder and needs long term medical help. I thought this after reading "Its not about the bike". Massive ego, chip on both shoulders, control freak, bully, manipulator, and the need to have an "enemy" , choose anyone who disagreed or upset him, to rage against.

Classic symptoms.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Fess up, why would he, he passed 500 tests, what do you people want?

Surely you're not buying all this rehashed old crap from serial liars?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited October 2012
    dougzz wrote:

Oh, dear. Not even going to bother
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ThomThom wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

Oh, dear. Not even going to bother.

Doug isn't serious.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Good.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I heard a couple on the train this morning talking about how poor old lance is a scapegoat. Neither of them we cycling fans, just discussing what they'd seen on the news. A small sample granted but it there are obviously some people who are seeing Lance as a scapegoat because he won the most.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    iainf72 wrote:
    Doug isn't serious.

You do good impression of my boss in our management meetings, only you're right, he seldom is.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    How about Mick Rogers. I see Australia are talking amnesty. Matt White hopefully will see sense. Hope Mick does too
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    lies, confrontation and creative silence has got him where he is today... why change a winning formula
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The buns.

Always about the buns.