Deore shifter only shifts up when pressing slowly

ZeeSaffa
ZeeSaffa Posts: 68
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am a newbie when it comes to most things tech on a bike - so apologies if this is a stupid question.

The front Deore (SL-M570) shifter doesn't take if I press it quickly.
If I press it REALLY slowly however - it takes perfectly every time.

I bought my bike 2nd hand a year or so back - but haven't ridden it much until lately so don't know when this started to happen... or if it was even doing it when I bought it.

Do I need to replace it - or can it be fixed?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If it doesn't work properly then it is toast.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My XT does this - is a worn ratchet. New shifter time.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    You can sometimes prolong the life of a worn shifter by giving it a damn good spraying through with cleaner and putting some thin lube in there. But it is only a temporary fix and sooner or later the lever will need replacing. Worth having a go first before consigning it to the bin.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Could be crud in the ratchet. Worth taking apart and cleaning first.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ^^^ what he said, open it, check for crud and give it a clean and light lube first, crud on the pawl pivot can cause this as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all!
    I'll definitely try giving it a good clean.

If I need to replace them - can you guys recommend shifters that are in the same price / value bracket?
    Looks like these specific ones have been discontinued...
  • The Rookie
    Just get the latest front Deore, or watch the classifieds for someone converting to 1x and selling a front shifter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks again! :D
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    SL-M570 is the Shimano Deore LX shifter.

Shimano shifters, especially the older models, are very durable and almost never malfunction due to wear to the internals parts.

They do suffer from dirt and the grease drying up, so a rinse and a squirt of oil will cure most problems.

There are two other conditions: a loose thumb lever feel usually results in a vague feeling shift; too stiff and the lever will be slow to return.

Whether the thumb lever is loose or stiff is controlled by a hex nut under the pod cover of the underside - just get this nut to the right tightness and the shifter will work as normal.

All other shifter problems will be cable related.
  • Thanks for all the advice!
    I opened it up (slightly) - doused it in brake cleaner - loads of WD40 - then a few drops of lube.
    All good now :)

However I can't quite adjust my front mech now. The high/low screws have very little effect.
    It's only rubbing a bit when in highest gear so not a major problem.

Thanks again!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    ZeeSaffa wrote:
    Hi,

I am a newbie when it comes to most things tech on a bike - so apologies if this is a stupid question.

The front Deore (SL-M570) shifter doesn't take if I press it quickly.
    If I press it REALLY slowly however - it takes perfectly every time.

I bought my bike 2nd hand a year or so back - but haven't ridden it much until lately so don't know when this started to happen... or if it was even doing it when I bought it.

Do I need to replace it - or can it be fixed?

Thanks!!

Check the lever. Can you wiggle it up and down a little? If yes, then the nut and bold that runs through the centre of it as worked it's way loose and pressing the lever can lift the teeth over the top of the opposing teeth that moves the cable. Take the bottom cover off the shifters and tighten the nut and bolt up so that both set of teeth are in the same plane.
  • The Rookie
    ZeeSaffa wrote:
    However I can't quite adjust my front mech now. The high/low screws have very little effect.
    It's only rubbing a bit when in highest gear so not a major problem.
    Which side is it rubbing, if it's on the inside it's cable tenssion not the stops you need to adjust.