Advice on 24" tyres

trek990
trek990 Posts: 11
edited November 2017 in Family & kids cycling forum
I am looking to replace the tyres on my son's 24" bike with something lighter and suitable for cycling to school and trail riding.
I've seen that Islabikes use Kenda small block eight 24 x 1.5 (although I can't find them advertised in that size for sale online).
Any suggestions, Thanks!

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    They used to come with a road tyre and the option of Continental Explorers for off-road - the Explorers are pretty good (except in winter mud) and are about £10 each - e.g. Wiggle.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    SJS have the 8s in 24" (ERTRO 507. Check the existing tyre spec as 520 & 540 sizes are also 24"):

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-24-(507)-dept344_pg1/

from CRC's list of 24" tyres I'd suggest Schwalbe Marathon for greater road bias, Conti Explorer for rougher surfaces. The Tioga Comp III looks just like the Mad Mike on my son's 20" bike and that works surprisingly well on the road (though he's no speed demon... yet).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • dmr moto digger, think they are a dirt jump tyre so they roll really well and grip well in the wiltshire slop
  • My son has a Giant 24" road bike too, with Kenda Koncept 25-520 tyres. I couldn't find any 520 cx tyres anywhere, so took a chance and bought some Greim tyres from Islabikes. http://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/acc ... e-per-tyre
    But they're 30-507 and so don't fit ! Dohhh!

I really don't know what I should do now. Buy some new wheels?

I can't find 520's anywhere.
  • It depends what your going to ride and how much hassle....

We have 3 sets spread over 2 bikes ... but 3 sets of wheels so they just need swapping over... and two sets are special purpose.

His middle wheels are Rocket Rons and these are great for XC and light trail and OK on fire roads but not really great on tarmac... (at least if the kid likes skidding a lot)

The other 2 sets are 1 set specific to comply with British Cycling "closed circuit" Events for his age and another set for DH but that get used on really rough/sharp rocky trails that rip the Rocket Rons up...(Grandma lives next to Guisburn Forest and the RR's would be lucky to make it round without being torn up) but they work well for our local Swinley and Surrey Hills.

Even if you don't need the specifics it might be worth 2 sets of wheels ??? Something more road and something more trails?
  • justinwaf wrote:
    My son has a Giant 24" road bike too, with Kenda Koncept 25-520 tyres. I couldn't find any 520 cx tyres anywhere, so took a chance and bought some Greim tyres from Islabikes. http://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/acc ... e-per-tyre

One of mine has a Worx JA24, which has 520mm wheels and it came with Maxxis Locust CX tyres. Dunno how easy they are to get but they do exist, if you can find them (and if there is enough tyre clearance).

_
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    We had exactly the same issues with finding 24" 520 CX tyres with a decent mud pattern. OEM tyres like the Maxxis are not always easy to get hold of privately.

It's not much help, but the best advice I can offer is to move off 24" and onto either 26" (559) or 700c as soon as possible. Bypass 650c if you can, as the options there are no better.
  • Imposter wrote:
    We had exactly the same issues with finding 24" 520 CX tyres with a decent mud pattern. OEM tyres like the Maxxis are not always easy to get hold of privately.

I think that's kids 24 ... in general...
    Although the opposite end I was recently looking for DH tyres in 507 ... what a nightmare....
    Out of the limited places that seemed to sell them actually then trying to buy them was a different story.
    After faffing about I finally found some in Germany... I mean they are a replaceable item.. non brand specific.. it's not like I was searching for a specific mech hanger or a very rare free hub... just a set of tyres....
  • justinwaf wrote:
    My son has a Giant 24" road bike too, with Kenda Koncept 25-520 tyres. I couldn't find any 520 cx tyres anywhere, so took a chance and bought some Greim tyres from Islabikes. http://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/acc ... e-per-tyre

Do you still have the Greim tyres and if so did you want to sell them? Richard 07879667024