advice for supterfuge when buiding new bike

boristhespie
boristhespie Posts: 109
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Okay so bought loads of bits (they're Christmas presents dear, for you, honest) but can anyone suggest methods for passing off my new bike build when it is revealed to an other half who just, after 4 years in our house, realised I had 4 bikes already.

Be comical.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Always buy black bikes. Not funny I know, but effective. It appears the other half cant tell one black bike from another.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTFU and grow some.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure they are all a similar colour, like when looking at cars 'I want a red one' women can't tell the same colour bikes apart.....FACT

That or just tell her you washed one of the others!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Justify it in pints beer / week,

a £1500 bike is 2 pints / week for 4 years, my wife uses that back at me when I'm dithering over a big spend!
    Trek Stache 8 29er
    Orange Five Pro 2011
    Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
    Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
    Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Say one is hers - don't worry she'll never actually ride it. If she does just change the pedals & hey presto.
    Also compare it to the number of shoes she has - she'll love that.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    never buy a whole bike, always do your own builds and maintenance

ideally have one in a permanent state of repair/rebuild so that it's hard to say how many bikes you have just an area of the shed where bikesthings are...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Men should always have more than one ride, we evolved from having bands of ladiez after-all. Having n+1 bikes is better than you going out all night and getting your other rides in some seedy club toilet with a soiled vixen!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    better than you going out all night and getting your other rides in some seedy club toilet with a soiled vixen!
    Don't tell Cooldad that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    have a day washing all the bikes and just add it in.....
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edhornby wrote:
    ideally have one in a permanent state of repair/rebuild so that it's hard to say how many bikes you have just an area of the shed where bikesthings are...
    Genius :lol:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    cooldad wrote:
    MTFU and grow some.
    This advice brought to you by "cooldad Relate", the relationship people.

I would definitely go with the piles of bits in the garage approach. Only 'trailworthy' bikes count as 'bikes', everything else counts as 'spares'.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    edhornby wrote:
    Genius :lol:

This works, as does the 'I'm fixing it for a mate' and 'I built from all my spares' along with the 'its a cycle scheme clearance bike'.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    better than you going out all night and getting your other rides in some seedy club toilet with a soiled vixen!
    Don't tell Cooldad that!
    In the words of the immortal Marc Bolan
    "But I can't get no satisfaction all I want is easy action."
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • All very good you morally corrupt bunch ; )

My other half hadn't been in the bike bit of the garage for 4 years and had to go in a couple of weeks ago and saw the 4 bikes. The bummer of it as I had the bits stashed in my wardrobe and other stashes.

Could try "it's for you" but she has continually said she does NOT want another bike in the house. She uses my 88 Kona.

Apparently we can't afford it. Plus a Ragley blue pig is hardly novice friendly.

So bits of bikes couls be good idea. I'm thinking police auction bargain.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    edhornby wrote:

:lol: good stuff. So easy too, just take the wheels off and leave it upside-down with a spanner next to it...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My other half hadn't been in the bike bit of the garage for 4 years and had to go in a couple of weeks ago and saw the 4 bikes

Unfortunatly the bikes are in the garage...as is the washing machine, so she's in and out of there all day but there's already a set of 'spare' wheels in there so don't reckon she'd notice if they were joined together with a £600 AM frame :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8