Shorter Stem

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently run a 120mm stem on my Canyon Nerve XC. EDIT: Its actually 90mm, I measured it wrong :oops:

However When riding for a long time my neck can become sore from 'looking up' too much.
IE I'm reaching too far so my back is more parallel to the ground so its a greater angle to look up etc

Obviously a shorter stem should improve handling too.

Would a shorter stem improve/solve my neck issues?
Also, for XC & Trail riding, what lenght would people recommend?
Finally, can anyone recommend me a stem?

Cheers :D

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    what size is your xc, an M ?, surely it didn't come with a 120mm stem did it?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • compo
    It is a Medium

Perhaps I am measuring it wrong
  • chez_m356
    compo wrote:
    It is a Medium

Perhaps I am measuring it wrong
    centre to centre, not end to end, looks about a 90mm going by your pics
  • compo
    Ah right, thanks, I shall have to recheck
  • chez_m356
    compo wrote:
    Ah right, thanks, I shall have to recheck
    i would have said check on the website but they've got the 2013 bikes up now, though the AL doesn't look any different from the xc to me and thats showing a 90mm stem on the medium
  • compo
    Yeah, re-measured and it is 90mm. See edit of OP
  • chez_m356
    maybe try a 70mm, something cheap off ebay, no point laying out to much until your sure its ok for you
  • Funny enough I have the same issue with my nerve, I get neck and shoulder pain, I to was looking at getting a shorter stem to see if that helped.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just move the saddle forward on the rails is a cheaper and quicker fix surely? if it's mounted in the mid position you can get 15mm out of most saddles.

A shorter stem may not improve the handling but actually make it too twitchy, so consider also an inline seatpost.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    As above, adjust saddle, mess around with stem risers and angle of bars if they have some back sweep

If you do feel it's the stem. Superstar Zenith's are good, cheap & light and come in loads of colours you could try a 80mm or 65mm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • i'd prolly gove one of these a go,
    http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P930/product
    andy's a top chap, Great service fomr him in the past, and for the money, you cant go wrong with the stem IMO.
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • compo
    Cheers for the imput guys.

I'll have a fiddle with my saddle and bars and see where that gets me. If there's no luck, that Superstar stem looks like a deal
  • felix.london
    compo wrote:

I'll have a fiddle with my saddle and bars and see where that gets me. If there's no luck, that Superstar stem looks like a deal

Yep - seem to have been reduced a couple of quid too :) - I've got an 80mm on the rockhopper and a 50mm waiting to go on an AM build I've got in the pipe line. The 80mm & 65mm are only about 140g.

80mm in white;
    DSC_0948.JPG

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    compo wrote:

Yep - seem to have been reduced a couple of quid too :) - I've got an 80mm on the rockhopper and a 50mm waiting to go on an AM build I've got in the pipe line. The 80mm & 65mm are only about 140g.

80mm in white;
    DSC_0948.JPG

complete side note, but how narrow are those haven bars?! :shock: Either that or you have seriously weird preferences for mounting the controls practically on the stem!!
  • The Rookie
    I'm running an 80mm Superstar, stiff, light, bars not fallen off, sorted, having said that the Bikehut and on-one are in reality teh same item (I'm running a bikehut faceplate on mine as it was slightly lighter and black whereas the superstar faceplate was Silver).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I ended up buying a cheap stem to experiment as I felt a bit stetched, If you can afford to wait a few weeks then get one of these from this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360490577055? ... 1497.l2649

Bargain at under a tenner, just a shame about the nasty graphics! Soon sort that with some black paint if I end up keeping it...
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    First thing I did with my mtb is ditch the 90mm stem and whacked a 50mm on there... Much better... More responsive and puts your weight further back for the steep stuff...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • The Rookie
    PaulOliver wrote:
    I ended up buying a cheap stem to experiment as I felt a bit stetched, If you can afford to wait a few weeks then get one of these from this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360490577055? ... 1497.l2649

Bargain at under a tenner, just a shame about the nasty graphics! Soon sort that with some black paint if I end up keeping it...
    180grams, is it packed with lead or something?
  • felix.london
    compo wrote:

80mm in white;
    DSC_0948.JPG

That's the Reverb remote. Bars are 711mm (the perfect width btw :wink: ) Brakes are about 40mm in from the grips, shifters butted up to the brakes

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ...of course it's the soppy window thing on the SLX front shifter that pushes it that far in..gotta get rid of that stupid thing

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ...of course it's the soppy window thing on the SLX front shifter that pushes it that far in..gotta get rid of that stupid thing

gear indicators should banned, they serve zero purpose on highend kit :lol: They just looked really narrow, and 750mm havocs are the perfect bar :wink:
  • felix.london
    Gonna get rid of it today! And swap out the crappy Superstar rim tape that's still on the wheels. Sun's out, it's one of those days.

750mm...ridiculous :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    compo wrote:

Superstar stems appear to only come in 5 degree and 0 degree rises, your ritchey currently gives 6 degrees so you could end up sat lower that you are now.

Just because someone else happily runs a 50 or 60mm stem on their Anthem, Strive, Boardman or whatever it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option for you.

There can be downsides to fitting a shorter stem, if your steering is already fast then it's going to make it even faster. Worst case scenario is you end up with something that has twitchy steering, a cramped cockpit and a light front end, you just need to be aware.

Your bars look quite flat, you'd probably get more rise by swapping them out for something taller.