Which one should I go for?

Ashley 1972757
Ashley 1972757 Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a new bike and have narrowed my options down to these two

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

and

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53 ... #avantages

I've got a 300 pound budget (I get 10% off the Carrera).
I'm going to get one tomorrow morning but still can't make my mind up which one to go for. I'm leaning towards Rockrider 5.3 2012 but what do you think I should get?

It would be mainly for road use with some light offroad.

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    It would be mainly for road use with some light offroad.

If mainly for road use a mountain bike would be a bad choice .
  • But i'd use it for off road as well. I'm not going to be traveling miles on it to work etc..
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    It's always a compromise. You could invest for some semi slicks for commuting.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • waby1234 wrote:
    It's always a compromise. You could invest for some semi slicks for commuting.

Yeah, i know this bud.
    Back on topic, which one should I get? Come on guys I need a quick answer :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rockrider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The Rockrider.

Is it all round better or much of a muchness?
    Also, does the rockrider have better forks?
  • cooldad
    Overall better bits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ended up getting the Rockrider 5.3 2012 mountain bike and really enjoying it.

2vj5ri0.jpg

Only thing i'm not that happy about was the pedals. It came with the cage style pedals and ended up wrapping up going down an off road track because I couldn't get my foot out in time:D, so I've binned the cages off them but the pedals will be next to go because they aren't that great and still are really supposed to be used on one side I think. Also the grips aren't that great after a long ride.

Ridden the bike about 20 miles yesterday morning going across town and really impressed with it on the road
    Only problem is I've got a sore arse today:D. Even when I went on it for about an hour I was slightly sore. Could this be because I've not ridden a bike for about 10 years or is the seat to blame? The soreness is around the sit bone, not crippling just a bit sore and feels like a bruise. I might give it a month or so and see if it's still giving me problems the saddle and then look for a new one.

The saddle has no cushioning on the thin part just on the wider part of it.
  • cooldad
    Stick some Wellgo MG1's on - best pedals for the money.

Your backside will toughen up - stick it out for a while or try a Charge Spoon - seem to be comfy for most people. But padding doesn't = comfort. Fat gel saddles are the worse. Give it time - even if I don't ride for a short time it hurts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools