I never saw the BBC news be vitriolic like this.

DF33
DF33 Posts: 732
edited October 2012 in Pro race

Comments

• That's more of an op-ed by Tom Fordyce, that's why
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Because of their testimonies to Usada, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Danielson, Vande Velde and Zabriskie avoided a two-year ban but will remain out of action until the end of February 2013. The riders all withdrew from the London Olympics in August as part of their deal with Usada.

Hincapie, 39, retired from the sport in August, but Danielson, Vande Velde and David Zabriskie are still active with Garmin-Sharp - the team of Briton David Millar.

Armstrong's former Discovery Channel team-mate Roger Hammond believes the penalties are too lenient.

"I can't understand why these riders are only being given a six-month winter ban," said retired Brit Hammond, who rode with Armstrong in 2005.

"Usada talk about creating a legacy, and the whole point of this investigation was to create a legacy for the sport. What sort of legacy is being created now?

"To me it says if you cheat and lie about it for several years, and then drop somebody else in it, you'll be alright. They need to be given the same ban as Lance.

"They cheated, they took that risk."
    Peter
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited October 2012
    The BBC are desperate to distract us away from Jimmy S stories and speculation about how he might have been protected by insiders at the Beeb. Bigging up a corruption scandal somewhere else helps.

It's political conference season and the Savile affair couldn't have been better time to provoke Beeb-hating Tories as they plot their future strategies.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Perhaps roger needs to read the wada code.....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Perhaps roger needs to read the wada code.....

Agree. And also the actual things that Armstrong's been found guilty off. Rog is falling into the same trap as some others of treating this as 'just' a rider doping issue. Explaining the difference to fans etc is one thing, but to an ex-pro..I like Rog but he's just plummeted in my estimation. He shall now be known as Hammond..that'll show him...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Remember this is the same BBC who tonight on their flagship 6 o'clock news ran the 3rd story about Armstrong and they showed CONTADOR ????? If i want to read about cycling then it WONT be on the BBC.
  • alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    BBC who tonight on their flagship 6 o'clock news ran the 3rd story about Armstrong and they showed CONTADOR
    Yes, I saw that. Even worse, it was a repeat of exactly the same mistake on the previous day's News at Ten when they first broadcast the story!

On the other hand, Radio 5 have done a very good job in broadcasting various reports and interviews about the whole affair. I've heard stuff from David Walsh the journalist, Armstrong's lawyer, Brailsford, squirming Yates, idiotic Dowsett, Sir Chris Hoy and others.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    The Beeb doesn't, by and large, show pro cycling so it probably suits them to highlight this story.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • I think mainstream sports journalists in the english-speaking world love to attack cycling because it's still viewed as a minority sport. Granted, the cycling world has certainly given everyone plenty of ammunition in the last 20 years. The journos seek to protect the traditional sports like football in the UK or Gaelic Games here in Ireland. Those games are not perfect (racism, diving, match-fixing, non-existent drug-testing programmes in soccer) and the same in Ireland for our national games as regards drug-testing, as far as I can tell.

Here is a link to a programme (Primetime) from last night on the Irish channel, RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10064478/

If it plays in your country, go to about the 25 minute mark to see the end of an initial report on doping in cycling. The last two sentences uttered by the reporter seem to sum up the contempt these so-called journalists have for cycling. He is basically saying that he hopes the sport of cycling will collapse as a result of this latest scandal. RTE wankers!

Dolan Driver.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    DF33 wrote:

Armstrong's former Discovery Channel team-mate Roger Hammond believes the penalties are too lenient.
    ."
    are these not just USADA penalties? cant UCI impose longer terms?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Alan14 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    BBC who tonight on their flagship 6 o'clock news ran the 3rd story about Armstrong and they showed CONTADOR
    Yes, I saw that. Even worse, it was a repeat of exactly the same mistake on the previous day's News at Ten when they first broadcast the story!

Strange thing was, Channel4 news/ITN used the same footage of contador on 11/10 @7. Some weird cross-pollination going on.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    DF33 wrote:

."
    are these not just USADA penalties? cant UCI impose longer terms?

As USADA uncovered the whole thing, they can set/suggest the penalties, i thought