Which wheels to upgrade to?

pgrhodes
pgrhodes Posts: 54
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I am looking for a new set of wheels for my recent new venture into the world of road cycling. I bought a Felt F75 :?

I have a limited budget, say £200 in total inc tyres, and narrowed my choice to 2 real contenders...

Mavic aksiums
Shimano RS30

I would appreciate any guidance on the benefits of either of these choices, and obviously would be interested to learn of other options that I may have, but nothing over budget please.

I am keeping the original wheels that came with the bike, mavic cxp 22, and will use these when on the trainer inthe bedroom.

As a final note, and sorry for the noob question but if I was change the cassette on the new wheels to an upgrade, which will remain compatible with the standard fit shimano 105 10-speed that is there now.

Comments

• pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    You can get a set of ultegra's for £250, it's worth paying the little extra for good wheels
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'd say go for the aksiums as they have a reputation for being bombproof and they come with the tyres.
  • gazl
    gazl Posts: 38
    Hi, just bought a second hand fuji team 2 bike and needed to upgrade the wheels & tyres. After much searching & deliberation i bought a fulcrum 5 wheelset (came top in cycling active review) with continental grand prix 24mm tyres all in for £200 from bike-discount.de. Highly recommended
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    poss a tiny bit over budget, but I'll be going for the Fulcrum Quattros come payday. Light but strong enough for my 15st weight. Seem to have got good reviews and look good too. Theyre £299 at the min