fatal error maybe?

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Evening all

Four months ago i decided to quit smoking and start cycling to work.
My fatal error was heading off to Halfords and getting a cheap MTB, £160 later i had a trax tfs 1,mudguards,helmet and so on.

I have now realised research should have been done and i should have saved a few more pennies.

My commute is 10.5 miles each way, various climbs decents along the way 500 foot being the largest.
I use strava to track my progress, i average 10 MPH max speed 20 MPH. have completed this ride in 45 mins but going hammer and tong.

is there anything i can upgrade without a great deal of cost to improve my speed?
I have tried some slicks not sure of the brand, they only lasted 1 month before the inner wall wire came through the side walls.

Trax TFS.1 Mens Full Suspension Mountain Bike - 18"

Alloy Rims: Yes
■Approximate Weight (KG): 17
■Brake Type: V-Brakes
■Chainset: 24x34x42 plastic Coated Steel
■Exact Frame Size: 18"
■Forks: chien sheng suspension
■Frame Colour: Red
■Frame Material: Steel
■Frame Size: 17-18
■Frame-:18.5" steel frame
■Front Brake: Logan steel V-brakes
■Front Mech: Ningbo power industries top pull
■Gear Shifters: Rotational Gripshift
■Gender: Mens
■Handle Bars: Steel - Black
■Headset: Chiih industries co
■Hubs: joyteck
■Min/Max saddle height : 91cm/97cm
■Number of Gears: 18
■Pedals: Black resin
■Quick Release Wheels: no
■Rear Brake: Logan steel v-brakes
■Rear Mech: Shimano
■Rear Shock: Coil sprung
■Rims: 26" alloy silver
■Saddle: Bassano selle slr
■Seatpost: Black steel
■Stem: Alloy Ahead - Black
■Suspension: Full
■Tyre size: 1.95
■Tyres: ATB tread
■Wheel size: 26"

Comments

• flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    First of all well done on making the move to cycling to work. You won't regret it.
    However, to be honest you may regret your purchase. I'm not sure that it’s worth upgrading anything on that frame. A friend of mine at work got one and it was dangerous. The wheel dropouts were too wide for the wheelnuts and his wheel actually came off on one journey, and a crank sheared on another trip in. The best upgrade you can do is to tighten the suspension spring to stop the bouncing.

Sorry to be the bearer of not great news.
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    some good points there oxoman. Despite all the anti-halfords comments around, they do sell some good bikes. Surprised they risk their reputaion with these. Not sure what the laws are about this but my friend's Trax should not have ever been allowed on the road.
    However he realised this after fallling off when the crank sheared and bought an entry level Specialized. He has cycled every day for 18 months since and enjoyed every minute of it!
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • Oxoman

id be interested in taking a look at the bike. inbox me if you do get rid.

Thanks Flappy

I thought as much. had already adjusted the suspension to make a harder ride.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    You came on that thing? You're braver than I thought!
  • Stick with the slicks, but buy some decent ones. Sounds like you were unlucky with your first pair.
    The Continental Travel Contacts come with a year guarantee, which would have been covered if the same thing happened with them.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Half decent bikes can be had for that cash, but full suspension just isn't needed for riding on the roads. I'd sell it and buy something lighter and more efficient.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Something like this..

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12883030
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Diamondback DBR Pursuit 700C

Anyone got any thoughts on this bike? I'm on a tight budget and this looks like the best option in my opinion.
  • Was looking to a max of £300 and that's pushing my luck.

They do have that scheme but I do not get to keep the bike at the end of it. Seems a little strange. Also they have suspended the scheme until spring.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Whereabouts in the country are you?

I would definitely go second hand. I have a great bike shop next to me and he's sorted myself myself and friends of mine out with great deals over the past few years.

£300 would get you a half decent, brand road bike or hybrid. For example, my friend picked up a 2nd hand Allez with Tiagra for £300. Of course, he's upgraded it a bit since, but he was on the road with a great set up - bike, shoes, helmet, pedals, computer, for under £500.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    £299 B'Twin Triban 3 from Decathlon - IMO you cant go wrong with them for the money/spec

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • I'm in Sheffield. Looking at the second hand option now.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd look seriously at that Decathlon bike. a 2nd hand bike may not be as light or well equipped as that, plus you have a warranty, can try it etc.
  • Ok so decided I'm going to go second hand for now. Carrera subway 1 on eBay. Looks nice and so far it's going for £75

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180991298002? ... _873wt_922

I will wait till spring and get a decent bike with the cycle scheme at work.