Double sided SPD-SL pedals

ad_snow
ad_snow Posts: 469
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Is there such a thing as double sided SPD-SLs? Like this but SL version: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-co ... on-pedals/

Comments

• DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    They should hang down so you engage when you push them over with the "toe" of the cleat. Practice makes perfect, and when you cock it up it's not too difficult to spin it round
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    As has been said, you don't need double sided SPD_SL pedals, they are designed to hang down. If you miss the pedal you raise your foot and it'll drop to it's usual hanging self. To double the sides is to double the weight for no practical gains, in fact it could be one hell of a nuisance!

There are road pedals with double sides, such as Speedplay.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ad_snow
    I mean do double sided SPD-SLs exist at all. So you could use normal shoes if you like.
  • Sorry do you mean spd one side normal the other if yes shimano do a touring set don't weigh much but ideal when you won't to wear trainers for quick trip down the shops
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • ad_snow
    Yes exactly.. but needs to be SPD-SL. Two bikes; one already got SPD-Sl's.. would rather not have two pairs of cycling shoes
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    ad_snow wrote:
    I mean do double sided SPD-SLs exist at all. So you could use normal shoes if you like.
    As far as I know just some MTB-type SPDs, like the ones you have shown, do one side SPD and one side flat. With road pedals you couldn't really have one flat side as they are weighted, and it would be hard to pedal on the flat side with road shoes, e.g. without the cleat recessed.

On the road bikes I still use double-sided MTB SPDs anyway. Theses are easiest, to start with anyway, and with the right SPD shoes you can pedal easily with one foot unclipped but still pressing on the pedal if you are nervous about have both feet clipped in as you approach a junction.
  • Sicario
    Sicario Posts: 25
    I would hate double sided pedals.

I always rest my left foot on the back of my pedal when going through traffic so I can easily put my foot down should I need to.

Imagine clipping in by accident when stationary! Nightmare.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I quite fancied the idea and looked quite hard but as far as I could tell, they do not exist. SPD yes but not SPD-SL. You can buy platforms that clip in where the cleats would go so you can use ordinary shoes but you need a tool to remove them so all in all, I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle (and cost).

It only takes a minute to swap pedals so if you really care about this, buy some cheap platform pedals and swap them over if it's not convenient to go out in your cycling shoes.

Essentially your choice is something that works but is sometimes inconvenient (ie SPD-SL pedals and shoes) or something that doesn't really work and still isn't all that convenient.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano SPD-SLs are surely large enough to use flats on? I can get up to 30 in loafers.....
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I think it depends what you are wearing. a pair of pumps/trainers on a dry day would probably be OK for a short ride with SPD-SL pedals but if you were going to work and having to wear a pair of Oxfords with leather soles, as I do to work, you would want something with a rough or serrated surface.

The other possibility, which is somewhat more expensive, is to buy a commuter/town bike. If you are literally just nipping down to the shops occasionally, you could get a cheap second-hand bike for next to nothing that would serve you well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Excellent choice of shoe. You can always slip your heel over the back of the pedal. If you are already in a suit and work shoes, you are taking it easy anyway, so no need to have perfect grip on your shoes