Clarkes S2 disc brakes

insaino86
insaino86 Posts: 32
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi thinking of upgrading my mechanical discs to these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=47543

I own a 2011 hardrock sport disc and upgraded to rockshox recon forks.

I have a few questions please if anyonw can help

1. Will these fit my bike and note there are two types of disc mounts. And what is the difference

2. Will different size rotors affect the above and can i fit any size to my bike from the box

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Without looking it up you will 99% likely have post mount front and IS rear. Post mount rears are normally the domain of more expensive bikes and still quite rare.
    These brakes are ok. My brother had them and loved them but a friend had problems with bleeding them and one of the calipers. Not sure that helps!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For not much more I'd suggest these Deore instead http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67246
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I've just bought these for mine. Out of the box the callipers reportedly fit standard Manitou post mounts (whatever that means ?) but they come complete with brackets to convert to IS mounts (which is what I needed). Having had a quick look at some photos, it looks to me that you would have IS at the back but might have post mount at the front. Don't know how to check what spec they are or whether they'd fit these.

I assume that the IS mounting brackets are different sizes to account for the different size discs, so you'll be fine if you're using those (I bought 185s and everything lines up nicely) - I'm not sure how the manufacturers allow for different size discs when mounting directly, though?
  • thanks for the replies. Which size would be best to get?
  • The Rookie
    For what riding?
    XC only 160/160 (or 160/140 if you want to go extreme)
    Trails 180/160
    Gnarlier still 200/180
    Full on mental downhill (on Clarks????) 200/200
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • so have i got this right.

Any Brakes with an IS mount will come witht he correct adapter for that size rotor ie 160 or 185 or 203s and post mount are a set size for that particular brake.

Im my case I am currently runnign 160s front and reare. so back I can upgrade to 185 but front Ia m stuck at 160??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No. You can get IS to post and post to IS and post to post in all sizes. Most brakes are post mount and will fit without an adapter if the forks are post mount, commonly this will be 160mm but you can get adapters to fit larger rotors (although have a bike at home with forks where the standard is 203).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Stick with your current discs and save money, or up front disc to 180 and add an adaptor....simples, 180 is not an upgrade unless you have a problem at 160 - it's just more weight, on M765 XT (pre servo wave) I can put the bike on it's front wheel with one finger on 160's.....