100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
How in your opinion should the event be marked, if at all?

Perhaps there should be a total shut down of everything except for emergency services and essential sevices.

Or perhaps just no tv or radio broadcasts, shop closures, no pubs,clubs,cafes open and no sporting events. It should be a sombre occassion and one we all remember.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Lest we forget, but Just think how big the feckin' poppy will have to be!

Well it's a social network, but please don't take offence at my remark, I don't want to spend 12 weeks in the UK :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • we could have a big fight with Germany and the winner gets Greece
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Forget about WW1, I'm more worried about WW3.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Forget about WW1, I'm more worried about WW3.

Shouldn't that be in cleats 73 days to go thread. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I still remember my grandfather taking me to the war memorial in my home town. Just went through the list of elder brothers, cousins and family friends ............ that moment, and I was only 8, has lived with me ever since. Literally dozens of names.
  • canbakay
    canbakay Posts: 282
    we could have a big fight with Germany and the winner gets Greece

you mean the loser :D
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I think both the beginning and the end of the war should be commemorated but the problem for me is which date do you choose?

Logically, 4 August 2014 is the centenary of the UK's delcaration of war (which dragged the remaining uninvolved Empire countries into the conflict of course) but the actual conflict was triggered on 8 June with various countries declaring war on one another over a relatively short period of time. That said, and technically, you could argue that the war actually started sometime between 1908 and 1914 with the various conflicts in the Balcans.

The end date of the war is equally ambiguous. Most people take 11th November 1918 as being the end of the war but this was only the surrender of German land forces in Europe. Depending on your nationality and point of view the actual cessation of hostilities can be tracked to a series of dates between 11 November 1918 (Armistice), through June 1919 (allied forecs delcaration of peace with Germany) and 1921 (peace between USA and Germany), on to the final treaty between the allied forces and what is now Turkey in 1923.

Personally, I'd like to see some padgent around August 2014 and then a more solemn occaision on 11 November 2018. What form each event should take I'm not so sure though.

Bob