wifes giving me stipulations on my new bike purchase!

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
well went to to look at an enigma etape today, look the buisness and looking at how to get the money together. the wife has actually always been very pushy when it come to spending on cycling which i think is due to her being brought up with serious cylists in the family.unfortunatly this has changed today as i have told her how much it would probably cost! she says i would not be allowed another new bike for atleast 4 years and 10,000 miles.in fairness and she is right that she is only saying what i tell her over things she buys(she wanted a new car the other week).plus is is a rather large amount of money atleast 2k and thats without new saddle or wheels.just have to keep on saving i guess....
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    May I be the first to say... MTFU :wink:
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Only one option. A new wife is required.
  • ianbar
    she looks like she is feeling guilty now say over there :-p
    enigma esprit
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    So what's the problem? You've been given the ok for four years and/or 10,000 miles, so go ahead and buy it.

Ride 10,000 miles in Year 1 and then buy another :wink:
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    My wife never gives me stipulations because I simply don't tell her. Problem now is I have a brand new 1+K bike hidden away in the barn but can't ride it cos she will see it :( Guess I didn't think it through very well but at the time the buy button was calling my name and teasing me to press it, which of course I did.
    As for your situation I would buy it with the 4 year agreement and then break the agreement after 2 years, at least you will have 2 years of happiness. :)
  • You're all wrong. The way to do it is to have her buy the bike for you.

That's what I did 8) 8)

Though I did have to hit 50 to provide the incentive... and I don't mean mph :roll:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ianbar
    i did concider doing the 10000 in a year, i do think she would actually be impressed with that too and possibly be very compliant! but the problem there is the riding of the 10000! lol
    enigma esprit
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Everyday is a birthday where I am concerned with bike purchases - life is too short to worry about such trivial matters!
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    The credit card/overdraft is the banks gift to us all, they are there to use. by using them we are keeping the country solvent, go for it and feel good afterwards.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    To the op. your missus sounds like a sensible lady

To the others, I sincerely hope you are joking ...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I love this. Exactly the same conversations are currently taking place in my household. I also priced up a new Etape, minus the saddle and wheels to save some dosh (great minds!) Never mind, another lottery draw on Saturday...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ianbar
    Mikey23 wrote:
    To the op. your missus sounds like a sensible lady

yeh sensible when its not her wanting something...if only i hadnt bought her that macbook!
    enigma esprit
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Think how nice (and even generous) you'll be to her when you get your beloved bike. It's a win, win, win situation for her. She's a lucky lady. Not all guys are as easily satisfied.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I've just spent a lot of money on bike...I'm talking pro level bike...the gf is wise and refuses to ask the cost ;)
  • as long as the family is feed and the roof is over your heads, what is the issue, and why do you need to hide what you spend?

just spent loads on a new bike and missus fully aware, in fact was encouraging when I was wavering, it's a lot of cash, and worry about not being able to do it justice
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    As long as my next bike is red like the one before it then I don't think my missus would even notice.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    when your out cycling you cant hear her whine ;)
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Never, ever, admit the actual price of the bike you want. Knock off half or two thirds and it will still sound incredibly expensive but you might just get away with it!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Just do it, I've done it twice in 2 weeks, second time has not yet been forgiven.

First purchase was a big one, spent to much on more bike than I will ever need, but looks great... :D

Second one was a cyclocross bike to break up the winter training, sent a text advising of the new arrival, did not go down well.. :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Recently whilst in a bike shop the guy said he would do me a reciept for a tenner for a Kuota, this has to be the way forward.

Guy at work has a ZZR 1400 Kawasaki, he spent £10k on the bike and another £8k modifying it, his wife thinks it was three grand...
  • Why are people never happy with what they have, there are either some keyboard hero's on here or some massive liars :roll:
  • Why are people never happy with what they have, there are either some keyboard hero's on here or some massive liars :roll:

I'm quite happy with the wife, apart from her moaning about the cross bike
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    doesnt everyone have a secret bank account then?
  • imsimon wrote:
    doesnt everyone have a secret bank account then?

Nah, just got access to hers
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Never, ever, admit the actual price of the bike you want. Knock off half or two thirds and it will still sound incredibly expensive but you might just get away with it!
    She'll be quite prepared for that one, using it herself when she says how much her latest hair/makeup/top/jeans cost.

Go for 40% of paid and then, by the time she's doubled it, it still won't seem quite as bad as it really was, whilst almost appearing as if the 40% value could have been true - especially around sale time.

:)
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Look at it this way - which do you value more - bikes or sex.

Although I suspect some chaps on here would struggle to answer that one. :roll:
  • karlth wrote:

Simple, bikes, if you saw a picture of my bike and my wife you would undertstand why....
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Dashik wrote:
    Shows what he thinks of his wife then huh?

I have to say I'm with you. Going without the latest £9k carbon bike,will have far fewer repurcussions than lying to your wife. I try not to discuss the subject in too much detail but if she asks, I tell her the truth.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Wobblehead wrote:
    karlth wrote:

Simple, bikes, if you saw a picture of my bike and my wife you would undertstand why....

I really hope she never sees this.

Sex every time for me. My bike will never say no though so I take my chances when they come :D (so to speak).