New BB time, what am I looking for?

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm putting a new BB in my friends bike, have got the old one out and what it says is:

Shimano
BB-ES30
BC1.37 x 24

L - 121 - R

Now I understand the L and R bits because thats pretty obvious, im assuming the 121 is therefore the spindle length?
And 68mm is the BB shell width?
I'm not sure on the 1.37 x 24 bit though, could someone help with that?

It's an octolink system but I don't know what quality. If my friend wants to upgrade then how can i tell what to look for?

Sorry I know there's lots of questions there but my bike has a 2 piece crankset so never bought an internal bearing system!

Thanks for any help guys!
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Thread diameter/pitch, not a variable, don't worry.
  • so any octolink BB thats 68 and 121? is there any way of telling what quality this one is? its got no other markings on it.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The number is the quality - ES30 - probably about Alivio.
    70 is XT

I wouldn't worry too much about model and just find one that fits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok cheers guys,

another variable for you though I'm afraid, the LH crank thread is screwed, I was surprised I managed to get the thing off at all, if she decides that she wants a new crankset too (danger being if I put it back on then it will never come off again) then is it worth a different type of BB? Hollowtech II? The frame needs facing first anyway but does that sound like a good idea or just simply a waste of money?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Ok, forget all of that gents.

New question, I'm pretty sure that the answer is a yes but will these fit?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2337
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58156

My main concern is over the 22mm diameter spindle they mention, but octalink is octalink no?
    It doesnt mention teeth numbers on the crankset but I'm assuming they will be fairly standard, the old one was a 44T big and 22T small, I didnt count the middle ring.

Just wanted to double check before I ordered for her!

Thanks guys
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • wow im stupid, I see now that the crankset is 44T - 32T -22T but I'm not sure on crank length, and the only BB in stock thats 68 - 121 says E-type? what does that mean?

Sorry I'm a numpty guys!! cheers for any help!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    My advice would be to get a brand new deore crankset with BB for £55, rather than your options. SOmething like: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... inset.html
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • That's definitely gonna fit? Sorry just want to be 100% before I order something for a friend, the chainline is then just set up on the spacers for the BB right?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Octalink doesn't normally need an extracter at all, so even if the thread fails, a sharp tap with a hammer will see it off.

Add £15-20 for shell facing if you fit that Deore (yes it will fit).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • just out curiosity, are 2 piece cranksets a standard axle size then? i cant see any measurements at all for BB shell size or anything?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    trigger118 wrote:
    just out curiosity, are 2 piece cranksets a standard axle size then? i cant see any measurements at all for BB shell size or anything?

Yes to first question, come with spacers for 68mm and 73mm BB's
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ah ok,

thanks for your help guys
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM