Camelbak Query

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Just wondering if anyone else had had reoccurring issues with Camelbak stuff?

My brother has a mule, he had it for a few months and some of the stitching broke, clean break, didn't get caught on anything, replaced under warranty. Replacement bag, had a few months and again the stitching has broke. Completely different place this time, gone in the same way. Clean break, not caught on anything.

Bad luck? or do they just use crappy stitching? His cheap Tesco bag that's a couple years old doesn't have a stitch out of place.

Has a life time warranty of workmanship, so can probably replace again, but not sure If he can be bothered with the hassle, if it will just happen again and again .

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    my mule is about 5 years old and fine.

well needs a wash but.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Never had any problems with any of mine. My Scudo is now almost 5yrs old and other than being a bit stinky and grim (like the owner) it's perfectly fine.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Both of mine have been fine, been through the washing machine a few times and still good. Endura stuff on the other hand seems to regularly come apart on the stiching.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My Chaos is fantastic... It's taken a proper beating too, loads of wee scars on it but still going strong.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have had two Mules for 3 and 4 years. I have had numerous undignified dismounts in that time. I try to land on my back as the Mule and bladder soften the blow. They appear to be indestructible to me and after a run through the washing machine they look as new. I really cannot fault them as they take all kinds of abuse, without any noticeable signs of wear.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I try to land on my back as the Mule and bladder soften the blow

You can chose what part of your body to land on??...not going fast enough :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    i think the fact they offer a lifetime warranty says all you need to know about the quality of their kit normally. companies aren't stupid and wouldn't offer this if they sold flawed products. my HAWG has been fine (except the zip pulls have come off) after 3/4 years use.

i say replace it, how much hassle is it really.
  • 3 Camelbaks over the last few years, and each and every one of the, is still in perfectly good condition. Put it down to bad luck I guess.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Both of mine have been fine, been through the washing machine a few times and still good. Endura stuff on the other hand seems to regularly come apart on the stiching.

My Camelbak stuff is seriously built to last, there's only a few cosmetic marks on them after several years of riding and washing.
    Endura, well, a bit hit and miss. Some stuff is spectacularly well made, other things fall apart in your hands. Their mountain range, or MT500 range, in particular, seems to be built really tough.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Don't use camelbak anymore, Got myself a wingnut pack a while back and I much prefer them, got 2 now!

I didn't have a problems with camelbak, all the ones I did have were pretty tough, even after a few off's!
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Legendary Endura Build Quality- Endura took a stand at a 12 hour race a mate of mine was attending. He'd a pair of shorts- Humvees maybe? Which had split. So they said, bring them to the stand, we'll replace them. So at the start of the race, he got a new pair, put them on, started racing. After a couple of hours, they'd split in the same place so he took them back again and got another pair. Discovered the day after the race that they'd split too! Got a refund eventually. Got to hand it to them though, they tried.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have had quite a few bits of endura kit fail on me, mainly Lycra ripping at the seams. I've found they're gloves the worse.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.