To ride or not to ride?

OneForTheRoad
OneForTheRoad Posts: 85
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Ok, I have about 3 hours to decide so help would be great.

On the way home last night I noticed a strong knocking/pulsing sensation every time I used the rear brake. Was going to look at it when I got home but promptly forgot.

Was reminded straight away this morning when braking so only used the front brake to get to work.

Have just been down to the bike shed to take a look and I'm not a happy bunny. There is a crack on the rear rim about 1.5" and there is also a broken spoke. I knew the rims were worn anyway but didn't expect them to fail :oops:

The bikes an old steel framed MTB with cantilever brakes I don't weigh too much, the commute home is about 15 miles all on road and the tyres are 1.75 slicks.

The question:

Can I limp it home not using the rear brake, avoiding as many pot holes as possible or am I asking for trouble?
One for the road.....
The beer not the bike!
FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251

Comments

• not sure I'd risk it. any chance you can pop on a train etc instead? Of course you might have to wait in a pub for a couple of hours so you can travel outside of rush hour but if you're forced into it...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Go into evans in Waterloo, get them to price match some sensibly priced wheel, and move bits over.

But risk a failed rim on top of a broken spoke for 15 miles? There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity and I know which side that falls.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you can't get a replacement, no way. No. Freakin'. Way.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    If you can't get a replacement, no way. No. Freakin'. Way.

This.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    If you're prepared to walk the rest of the way home (if/when it fails), go for it.

Otherwise, time for a new wheel.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is this like one of them questions where if someone says "yeah go for it sport" an you are killed to death you will come back an haunt them?

personally i wouldn't touch it
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • B0llocks!

I had a horrible feeling that might be the general thinking!

Had a look on the usual suspects eg Wiggle, Chain Reactions and Evans etc and for a new 26" Rear wheel I'm looking at a minimum of £50 (last time I looked at the hub this was a little worn as well). I love the bike and don't want to use the newish MTB on the commute but I'm going to stuggle to justify that sort of cash on an old raleigh.

Looks like I'll be PT tonight :cry:

Thanks for the quick answers even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Your scalps will remain untouched this evening!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Your missing this as a chance to get some really bling wheels for #1 and move the current ones down to the commuter.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • mudcow007
    i might have an old wheel here you can have, i coudl try an send it through work, but the rim is quite worn your welcome to it if you wanna though?

i think its a shimano hub with a Sunn Mammoth rim, god knows what cassette though
  • Torvid wrote:
    Your missing this as a chance to get some really bling wheels for #1 and move the current ones down to the commuter.

I like the thinking but I'm skint and all spare cash is going to ex!

The better bike has discs and a 9 speed cassette. The commuter has canti's and a 7 speed.

Really want to keep the other bike going so will hit ebay for a cheap "spares" bike.

Has anybody else realised that as you don't wear a coat on the bike if you suddenly have to get PT home in the rain then you look a bit daft in jeans and a T-Shirt....
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited October 2012
    What's the fuss? Ride it - if it does go bang somewhere en route you've saved yourself a bit of a walk at least. And the chances are that as it got you home and then back in without failing catastrophically it'll probably get you home again without breaking.

Go for it.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    i might have an old wheel here you can have, i coudl try an send it through work, but the rim is quite worn your welcome to it if you wanna though?

i think its a shimano hub with a Sunn Mammoth rim, god knows what cassette though

That is a fantastic offer Sir! If you can get a way with the postage then let me know and I'll definately take it off your hands.

Thanks!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

That is a fantastic offer Sir! If you can get a way with the postage then let me know and I'll definitely take it off your hands.

Thanks!

our dispatchers have gone for the day but i will send it tomorrow pm me your address
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lots of softy girlywhirliness on here. As CiB says, go for it. Crikey - half the bikes in Paris ridden every day have bent frames, bent forks, bent everything. And mostly the riders don't die from it.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ok after work finished I went to have another look, If it was just bent I would have got on but the rim has a split. Thought that I would test the strength as it had been feeling a bit soft (kept looking to see if I had a slow puncture for a few days before)

Got on and bounced on the saddle a couple of times. The split widened to about 2 1/2 inches andthe tube went.

I've now learnt 2 things.

Don't ride on a split rim

PT sucks. Train delayed home and train delayed this morning.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mark
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

• OP, I've PMed you with a wheel offer.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Good call. I've had a rear rim explode going round a roundabout, I was lucky to bring the bike to a stop. I'd taken the long way home and was 10 miles from home, so had to call out the team car. I only thought 10 minutes later, that despite the racks being on the roof, they were locked. As the kids were in the car as well, I had to remove both wheels, the pannier rack and the mudguards to get the bike in the boot.

Won't be doing that again.
  • mudcow007
    Posted, should be with you Monday (via UKMail)