Aviemore/Inverness cycling routes

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

So, heading up to Aviemore (nr Inverness) next week with family & would like to do some cycling up there. After a brief period of considering riding up (from Glasgow) I decided it was do-able, but given my biggest ride to date is about 60 miles, 170 miles, even over 2-days, would leave me useless for the rest of the week. So taking bike in car.

I think I have seen a couple of posters from that neck of the woods so would appreciate any recommendations for particularly scenic/interesting routes (I know its all scenic - its the Highlands!).

Probably talking anything up to around 30 miles or so, maybe a bit more (I will be going out on my own & dont want to be away from family too long everyday). Don't mind some decent hills (just as well...), but nothing too crazy.

I plan to just head out & explore wherever the road takes me on some rides of course, but a bit of local knowledge would be good as well.

Cheers!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's a huge question because you can pretty much ride anywhere and enjoy it (if you stay off the A9). Go onto Strava or Garmin Connect and take a look at the rides other people have done - you'll get some sense of routes, elevations and distances. If you're in Inverness, a lap of the Beauly Firth would be nice or a lap of the Black Isle (search for routes or I can find you some when I'm back from the US).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I spent a week there over the summer.

Bike Cairngorms is fun but I think it stops in September 1000 foot down from Ptarmigan to the base station then on to Rothiemurchus through the woods. Apparently you can do it if you're prepared to get your bike up there yourself.

For family riding the 7/Speyside Way is nice.

I also did a ride through Abernethy to Ryvoan Pass and down to Loch Einich nice but you'll need fat tyres.

According to the bike shops and guides The single track on the plateau is epic.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Spent a couple of summers there, with a mountain bike. The riding's quite challenging- you have a choice between long ups and long downs, or never ending rolling roads- but awesome. Go into the bike shop in Aviemore (on the road to Cairngorm) and talk to them. They're friendly and- when I was there- had maps with good routes marked.

Oh, fair warning- there are parts that are properly isolated, phones don't work and you won't see another person all day. Carry enough spares. And a waterproof. A good waterproof.

For specific routes, have a look for back roads towards/around nethy bridge and grantown, or head to Carrbridge, Dulnain bridge. Generally speaking, finding little roads which leads to little villages is a good recipe.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • muzzan
    Thanks guys, some good ideas there, just hoping it isn't a total wash-out!

Will let you know how it goes.
  • meanredspider
    Forecast looks cold: 3C on Mon & Tues mornings but dry those days. Not windy either. Just be aware that Aviemore is often the coldest place in the UK so pack accordingly. Have fun.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • muzzan
    So, had a pretty good week. Weather was prob about as good as could be expected, got a fair few rides in, so fairly happy. Highlights were:

Loop from Aviemore - Boat of Garten (20 mi, up old A9, down B970), spectacular views of the cairngorms & not a single car on homeward leg

Loop of Beauly Firth (25mi) Really quiet nice roads, almost sunny & mild. Went anti-clock wise & got a bit lost at end trying to get through Inverness to where I'd parked my car under the Kessock bridge, but overall this was probably my favorite ride of the week.

Down to Kingussie & back (30 mi, down B970, up old A9). This was good workout, but consistently drizzled throughout. Outward leg very undulating, homeward leg much flatter, but both very quiet.

On last day I decided to climb up to the Cairngorm Ski centre (22 mile RT). Was a bit apprehensive as this was the biggest climb I've done, but it wasnt too bad. 1st section is the worst & I had to stop a couple of times, but last mile or so is not too bad at all. Think I could manage it without stopping now I know whats in store. Enjoyed views from top, but unfortunately the furnicular was down for technical problems so couldnt go to the top. On way down I realised my brakes need tightening up so had to reign in the speed, but to be honest I prefer to relax & take in the views anyway!

Cheers for the suggestions guys, was a big help.
  • meanredspider
    muzzan wrote:
    Went anti-clock wise & got a bit lost at end trying to get through Inverness to where I'd parked my car under the Kessock bridge, but overall this was probably my favorite ride of the week.

Glad you had a good time. Funny that you lost your way - the river is a pretty good guide to where the bridge is :wink: It was a funny old week from a weather point of view. You were lucky with how little wind there was.
  • muzzan
    Well, basically turned left a bit early (towards south kessock). Had lost sight of the bridge due to all the buildings & things you traditionally get in town centres ;-)

That was definitely my luckiest day with the weather, pretty bright & dry the whole time & the road on the north side of the firth is great, no cars in sight & lovely views. One thing I would say is that compared to the erskine bridge I cross on my commute the barriers on the kessock are a lot lower & there seems to be a lot more debris on the surface, but its a very nice crossing.
  • meanredspider
    muzzan wrote:
    Well, basically turned left a bit early (towards south kessock). Had lost sight of the bridge due to all the buildings & things you traditionally get in town centres ;-)

That was definitely my luckiest day with the weather, pretty bright & dry the whole time & the road on the north side of the firth is great, no cars in sight & lovely views. One thing I would say is that compared to the erskine bridge I cross on my commute the barriers on the kessock are a lot lower & there seems to be a lot more debris on the surface, but its a very nice crossing.

I was only teasing - though there is a route that runs pretty much next to the river.

I obviously cross the bridge a lot - the debris last week was the worst I've seen possibly ever. I used to hold the KoM for the crossing northwards (currently 2nd) and I still do for the fast descent south - the barriers are pretty scary though, especially the Armco posts perfectly designed to pitch you over the barrier into the traffic. I'm very lucky with my commute.