New Bike....or Ebay

dynamiccoins
dynamiccoins Posts: 65
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've been looking at a few bikes to get my first mountain bike - I started by trying out the Voodoo Hoodoo along with a few other 26ers but didn't feel 100% happy on any of them. To be honest more often than not this was a spin round the shop so not exactly a good trial run.

I then tried a couple of 29 ers (again in shop) - specifically:

Marin Alpine Trail - http://www.marin.co.uk/2012/bikepage.php?ModNo=12AL
and
Specialized Carve Comp - http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 92134.html

Now I preferred the "feel" of the 29ers.

So I've been keeping an eye on Ebay and have seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271076586790? ... 718wt_1037.

I'm tempted to buy it if the price stays lowish but as its Ebay I would be buying blind - I cant get down to have a look before the auction ends.

I know there are risks to this but I'm wondering if this is worth taking the risk?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you big enough for a large?

He's described it, if it's not as described, walk away, the seller can't negative feedback a buyer any more anyway (so what's the point in feedback!).

Are you confident you can check a bike over OK? If so, and it goes at the right price, then get it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Possibly worth keeping an eye on Pinkbike, and the forums here too.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    There is an inherent risk but its lower if you follow e bay rules & pay by pay pal. Ask if its open to inspection. If it's 2 thirds cheaper I'd get it but it probably won't be! Also look at One One 29ers.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for the responses.

Its a funny game I'm stepping into here. I am dead keen to spend my money but aside from a quick spin...up the road/road a car park/inside a shop, I cant have a good run on anything from a shop near me - I'm in Epsom, so its difficult to judge things.

None of my mates are into the mountain bike scene so I cant have a run on one that way.

This is what is driving me towards Ebay - if the cost is right I am thinking I'll take the risk...ok I appreciate its the condition of the bike I'm gambling on here not just the feel.

I'm 6ft for the fit - for both the other 29 ers above the 19" frame was the fit for me.
  • hi

i have said it before and il say it again, ebay is a great place and you can get some great bargains. i just brought my first good bike of ebay last week.

just remember to ask the seller all the questions you want to know stuff about, and always ask for more pictures so you can see the condition of the bike. and it dosent hurt to ask "how much are you after for a cash sale" this can work in your favor because the seller wont have so many ebay/paypal fee's if its cash in hand. it also gives you the chance to give the bike a once over before you pay to make sure its what you want.

others will disagree with me but we all have our own views and experiences good or bad about ebay, i love ebay and have been using it for about 10 years now.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I wont disagree with that. For every horror story there's probably 1000 perfectly happy sellers & buyers*

Always ask why they are selling and yeah - don't be shy to blow the whole thing out if you get there and it's not what you're looking for - although this is easier said than done if you've travelled a bit of a distance

I bought my Rockhopper of eBay and it was a great deal. Came from a mountain biker who had raced it, looked after it and upgraded it and was genuinely said to see it go.

*made up figures
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I`ve bought bikes on ebay before, for both myself and the kids.

I personally wouldn`t buy unless I could see it first hand before buying so have always looked at bikes with 1/2 hour`s drive, but first ask lots of questions to see if it`s worth making the trip.

It`s not too difficult to work out how well a bike has been looked after,once you get an idea of how knowledgeable the seller is.

I also tend to look specifically for those listed as collection only as they tend to attract fewer bids.If you are paying cash on collection low feedback is not so much of an iisue either furthering your chances of getting a bargain.

It`s not something I`d reccomend unless you have a good understanding of bike mechanics, but if you get it right it can yield some conspicuous bargains.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bargains indeed, I got a GT Chucker off ebay for £56, it was a donor bike for the wifes MTB, the bits i didn't use I sold on for about £75......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sheppy
    Sheppy Posts: 140
    I have been watching that bike on eBay for the last few days too :D It is a bargain. But as I have too many bikes (I literally sold a Rockhopper on eBay last night) I really shouldn't. Looks like a good deal even though there are a couple of bids on it, it's still a fantastic price, would make a great winter hack. I'd buy it, in fact I will. No no no, must resist the bid button...

Worst case it's rubbish and you sell it on to a mug like me :D
  • Hi,

Its getting bid up...I have a feeling it mght go over my budget.
  • Sheppy
    Sheppy Posts: 140
    It's not me... Honest... :D

In my humble opinion (and it is only my opinion) it's still a great bargain, I would expect it to go for more than that. I won't be bidding, I was only going to if it went for £200ish which it obviously won't now :( Guess it all depends how many last second bids there are.

Personally I don't really get on so well with specialized, don't seem to get on the with geometry very well. Giant seem to fit me nice and Gary Fishers I always thought were perfect fit. Now if a Gary Fisher 29er comes up on eBay in the right size I cannot be held responsible for my actions/bidding...
  • I didn't bother in the end as I emailed asking for more pictures and didn't get a response...and it ended up going for more than I would have paid.

What's weird is the auction ended last night and has straight away been relisted - why would someone do that - bidding on their own auction using another account and winning??? I cant believe a buyer dropped out so quickly - odd.

I am defo leaving that one now - could be ok but good luck to someone else.