Better start watching what you type - You could go to prison

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited October 2012 in The bottom bracket
I hadn't seen/heard anything about this on TV/Radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-19869710

Frankly, i'm appalled. And utterly terrified.

9/11 was the catalyst for the biggest decay on people's liberty since 'Human Rights' were invented. Freedom of speech was initially compromised by the caveat of 'incitement of hatred'. Bit by bit, this now seems to include ANYTHING THAT MAY BE DEEMED AS OFFENSIVE.
"The reason for the sentence is the seriousness of the offence, the public outrage that has been caused and we felt there was no other sentence this court could have passed which conveys to you the abhorrence that many in society feel this crime should receive."

Where is this public outrage? What sample of society did they take? The Daily Mail readership?

I'm pretty sure that 90% of this forum would simply shrug their shoulders and agree that the guy is a bit of a twunt.

But to be detained at Her Madge's pleasure for it????

George Orwell was not an author - he was a prophet.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Worse - and I'm willing to be corrected on this - is that he posted his jokes on his own private wall (how so? me not a FB user...) and one of his 'friends' took a screenshot and put it in a more public area.

It's a bit rum when offending someone carries a jail sentence and physical assault comes out as community service. I've never got this being offended thing. Why is it the worst thing in the world to be offended?
  • It was on the local TV news up here. He said me made the comments after a few drinks. I think the FB thing was probably someone sharing his post. But monitoring is out of order. Do you remember the joker at the airport who tweeted about blowing up the place - it was said an employee just happened to chance upon said tweet. Haha - with the help of special branch.

Around all areas of security concern there are - they're kind of like scanners - some of them are mobile so they can track royalty etc - and they read texts/phone/calls/tweets etc and look for buzzwords and if you're ever unfortunate enough to have a royal visit you then check your internet connection you'll find it surprisingly slow.. Understandable at a place of high risk - but come on, in chorley- its a bit much.

broadsword calling danny boy.....broadsword calling danny boy...

But yes, i agree it is a bit off. I mean its called a social network and as in all social interactions there are some things offensive and some not. Perspective seems to have gone out of the window.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Should have just given him a brush & told him to get sweeping a few streets.
    Waste of time & money.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    It's a worrying trend. They were evidently tasteless 'jokes', but this seems out of proportion.

If he was writing in a newspaper though, he might have got away with it :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Whatever happened to free speech etc.. Big Brother gone mad.

Can't the daily mail readers just MTFU FFS. :evil:
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • nick67
    nick67 Posts: 111
    Does make you wonder how Frankie Boyle gets away with things
  • peat
    What is there 'get away' with?
  • Peat wrote:
    What is there 'get away' with?

well he's alive for one thing. :D
  • Should have just given him a brush & told him to get sweeping a few streets.
    Waste of time & money.

What ya suggesting..the M6.. :o
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    They also jailed a numbskull with an offensive (to some) T shirt.

He'd hand written an "insult" following the death of the 2 coppers a couple of weeks back.

I do wonder who the arbiter of good taste is in this country.

We have free speech, but if you say something that some find offensive you can end up in jail.

No racist, religious comments were made, that I know of, just bad taste.

Thin end of the wedge if you ask me.
  • peat
    Sentencing Woods, Mr Hudson said: "The words and references used to the current case in Wales and that of the missing girl in Portugal are nothing less than shocking, so much so that no right thinking person in society should have communicated to them such fear and distress.

Are the police/justice system going to publish guidelines of what IS 'right thought'?

Effing scary.
  • Don't know what he posted, I'm guessing it was some kind of tasteless joke. So what, if folk are going to get "sent down" for making tasteless comments which some may find offensive god help us.

Makes ya wonder where they'll lock up proper criminals.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I am really affended by spelling erors, will any body give these feckers a decent sentence.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-19911943

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64

A little more than just "bad taste" IMHO. Whether he deserved to go down the steps is another issue.
    To have been charged with S.4A there would have to have been a complaint from someone that they were "harassed, alarmed or distressed" by the tee shirt.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    steve6690 wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19911943

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64

A little more than just "bad taste" IMHO. Whether he deserved to go down the steps is another issue.
    To have been charged with S.4A there would have to have been a complaint from someone that they were "harassed, alarmed or distressed" by the tee shirt.

I'd like to know who could be harassed, alarmed or distressed but such a general statement as the idiot put on his T shirt. Should we lock up every football fan who taunts the old bill with songs about Harry Roberts?

It didn't threaten anyone, it just expressed a minority opinion. Perhaps it's time we manned up and got a bit thicker skinned. We'll end up with a nation only able to express itself in the blandest of words in case we offend anyone anywhere.

The price for free speech is that sometimes you hear or see things you don't like or agree with. I'd rather that, than some society where no-one speaks for fear of ending in jail.
  • Zanelad wrote:
    The price for free speech is that sometimes you hear or see things you don't like or agree with. I'd rather that, than some society where no-one speaks for fear of ending in jail.

Totally. Did you see what the taliban did to that poor girl for daring to say women should receive an education.
  • can you imagine the headlines if some 'brit' was locked up abroad for wearing a t shirt ??

I do beleive that he was wearing a braille version, and that a guide dog took umbridge, causing distress ..WTF

Serious issue of free speech involved with the t- shirt-- sure it was 'bad' taste-- the wearer must be not all there/divvy- but 'prison' ?/

I would suspect an appeal will be forthcoming--hope so, as this would be talibanesque otherwise, also i have some risque ideas for t shirts --Dare-to-Wear-- :shock:
  • peat
    Just did a search - there are over 250 results for 'Maddie' (various spellings). Mainly from The Crudcatcher.

All it would take is to link it to a group of tossers in a 'Save Maddie' group on facespace and bish bash bosh, the old bill would be tracing IP's from this forum.

*Right Click - Copy Link.....................* :wink:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    FEMA camps are incoming!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    We were always taught that actions speak louder than words.
    I think he should have been subjected to Barry Manilow for 4 hours and told not to be a silly boy. Why pay the prison bill at tax payers expense for just being a twit ?
    'Elf n safety are the new Gestapo and the PC brigade are the thought police.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    seen this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19910865
    Director of public prosecutions Keir Starmer QC told the BBC that the right to be offensive "has to be protected".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    can someone score me some coke?
  • I and I dare say many others (more than 50 or so) were totally "offended" by what that w@nker Cameron spouted yesterday.

Any chance he'll get put in the slammer?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.