hoodoo sizings

john10012
john10012 Posts: 47
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
If I am 5'8" and inside leg 30", what size frame would you recommend going for with the voodoo hoodoo bike? The 16" or 18"? I think I would be at the top of the 16 and bottom of the 18.

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Just go and sit on them. That's the only way to check fit.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inside leg is totally irrelevant, it's what the adjustable seatpost is for, it's top tube length and your torso/arm length that matter as changing cockpit length is much harder.

As you are shorter than my 5'10" and have longer legs than my 28" (so shorter torso by 4") and I ride most makes at a 16 to 17.5" I'd suggest that an 18" is going to be too big for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I am a similar height to you (5' 8" 1/2 :D) and I'm pretty sure my inside leg is similar as well.

I've got an 18" and it's fine and I don't feel over stretched on it. I changed to shorter stem (50 mm) and I'm thinking of getting something a bit longer (70mm) as it can feel a little cramp. I have very little stand over (1 inch max) but people will say stand over is over rated although the manual did suggest at least 2 inches.

They generally don't have 16" frame hoodoo in stock at stores (well that was the case when I was buying). They suggested sitting on a 16" carrera which to me felt like sitting on a kids bike but being a bit older and hopefully wiser, looking back sitting on the 16" Carrera was pointless as different bikes measure up differently.
    I would push them to get a 16" hoodoo in and try it on for size as this is really the only way to know. However, I have enough seat post showing on the 18", I don't think the 16" is going to fair much better
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    They don't do the Hoodoo in 16" according to the website, only the Bantu and that is not in stock anywhere
  • anj132 wrote:
    I am a similar height to you (5' 8" 1/2 :D) and I'm pretty sure my inside leg is similar as well.

I've got an 18" and it's fine and I don't feel over stretched on it. I changed to shorter stem (50 mm) and I'm thinking of getting something a bit longer (70mm) as it can feel a little cramp. I have very little stand over (1 inch max) but people will say stand over is over rated although the manual did suggest at least 2 inches.

They generally don't have 16" frame hoodoo in stock at stores (well that was the case when I was buying). They suggested sitting on a 16" carrera which to me felt like sitting on a kids bike but being a bit older and hopefully wiser, looking back sitting on the 16" Carrera was pointless as different bikes measure up differently.
    I would push them to get a 16" hoodoo in and try it on for size as this is really the only way to know. However, I have enough seat post showing on the 18", I don't think the 16" is going to fair much better

Thanks! I think I will have to go and try one on. I think it could be borderline whether it is too big for me or not as my arm length is not that great I think I have 33" arms at least that is roughly what it is in shirt sizes.

The stem, I am assuming this is where the handlebars are? (don't know too much about bikes). If so then wouldn't a longer one move the handlebars upwards? If that's the case it would make them nearer to you because of the angle? Whereas shorter would be further away? Not 100% sure what standover is?