Getting ready for the winter rain

skolsuper
skolsuper Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all.
Just reading about what wet weather gear to get.
Seems gore-tex, Is pretty good. Jacket seem to be about £100 pound. Your thoughts please.
Probably been asked hundreds of times.
Sorry.
All the best

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    What do you mean winter rain ? - it's probably going to be dryer than the summer we haven't had !

I just use a race cape - I find any waterproof not very breathable, so don't spend a fortune on them.
  • lee170
    lee170 Posts: 236
    Overshoes or waterproof socks and waterproof gloves are a must!!
    Warm hands and feet keeps your morale up, well mine anyway
    2015 orange crush
    2015 cannondale super six evo
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Whenever I use waterproofs on the bike I end up being just as wet anyway with them not being that breathable
  • Depends on the length of your commute, but for half an hour to an hour, I find a softshell jacket is sufficiently waterproof and much more breathable / comfy than a "proper" waterproof. Agree with lee170 on gloves and socks - with a warm upper body (good merino base layer), warm hands and feet and possibly a cap, even in shorts I am comfortable.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Waterproofs tend to get sweaty (no matter how "breathable" they're marketed as being).

If you do go the waterproof route make sure it's very well vented. I have a Mavic waterproof made from gore-tex paclite material and it's brilliant but discontinued unfortunately!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My MTB 'water resistant' baggies and a soft sheel more than suffice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    As some others have suggested I think the important bit is to stay warm. Its almost impossible to stay dry in heavy rain regardless of how fancy your gear is. I have fruitlessly tried several tricks, I have tried over shoes / waterproof trousers etc but ultimately you will get wet on some part of your body.

Go for something fast drying , warm and comfortable. Avoid denim / cotton as they are not very good at wicking away moisture. In the winter or on wet cold days I tend to go for a pair of thermal running tights (decathlon about £15) with a pair of fast drying baggy shorts over the top. I will combine this with a merino wool base layer / fleece jacket and if required a cheap thin wind breaker style water proof over the top. Unless its rain of biblical proportions a fleece close fit jacket if fine, it beads of rain quite well and dries in about 30 minutes on a radiator.

Shoes is a tricky one, every pair I have had has let water in even some £80 winter DHB jobs, I tend to just go for a thin pair of cotton socks with a decent pair of walking socks over the top. This is breathable and warm, you will get wet feet but they are at least warm and socks dry real quick on the radiator.

Gloves again I tend to layer up, I find a pair of thin under gloves (again decathlon under glove ski gloves £8) followed by a reasonably thin cycling winter glove over the top keeps my hands warm and relatively dry.

Finally tube bandana's are very handy you can get a set of 3 from Chain Reaction for about £10 and they can be used under the helmet or around the neck or as a basic face mask.

Cheers