I have a problem with Centerlocking rotors HELP!!!!!!!!

stevethompson76
stevethompson76 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I prefer centerlocks but I have a massive issue with them.

I have Avid hydraulic discs and bought some MT15 wheels with centerlocks. Problem is that the rotor now scraps the brake mount and calliper not allowing the wheel to rotate - in a nutshell shell, it seems as though the space between the rotor and calliper has reduced.

Has anyone heard of this issue, and do you know where I can get a thinner calliper mount or how to resolve this problem...I'm at whits end!!!

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fork?
    what adaptor is fitted? take a file to it.

what hub? does it actually measure the correct width?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's the rear wheel, but I've no idea which hub it is - it's not specified on the technical data in the manual.

The adaptor is a standard Avid CPS brake mount to fit a 185mm rotor, it came with the Elixir 1 brakes.

I've take a file to one of the adaptors, but my handy work is a little amateurish, I was hoping that there would be a factory made one I could use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The formed shape ones like hope tend to be thinner than the ones that look like they've been cut from plate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sounds like you're using a 165mm mount and a 185mm disk, have you checked the mounting bracket is actually correct?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you're using a 165mm mount and a 185mm disk, have you checked the mounting bracket is actually correct?
    If that were the case it wouldn't scrape the mount?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It's the rear wheel, but I've no idea which hub it is - it's not specified on the technical data in the manual.

The adaptor is a standard Avid CPS brake mount to fit a 185mm rotor, it came with the Elixir 1 brakes.

I've take a file to one of the adaptors, but my handy work is a little amateurish, I was hoping that there would be a factory made one I could use.
    so the rotor is rubbing on the adaptor? take the frame to have the mounting tabs faced. that should give enough clearance.

or you could add a thin washer onto the axel if the spacing is not correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown