Wheels suggestions under £1000

Captainlip
Captainlip Posts: 281
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
What suggestions do you all have for a sub £1000 wheelset lightweight mountain climbers?

Investing in a brand new 3k bike in the next few weeks and the bike im looking at has a standardish wheelset and looking for some performance wheels.

Ive seen the likes of hope hoops, mavics, zipp, bontrager Aelous
MADONE 5.2

Comments

• Shimano RS80's are some of the best value light weight wheelsets. 1500 grams or so for about £300
    Very similar to RS80's are the dura ace ones which just have better hubs
    There are many others to look for but with clinchers, to go under 1400g for under £1000 without losing stifness is rare.
    If you can get a good deal on mavic SLR wheels you may be able to get 1200-1400g wheelset for about a grand
    Best I could find were ksyrium SLR for £1078 with tyres weighing 1400.
    Chat to your LBS and think about how much difference there is between a £400 set and a £1000 and you will find it is not huge (weight wise very little, stiffness slightly more so)
  • sharky1029 wrote:
    Shimano RS80's are some of the best value light weight wheelsets. 1500 grams or so for about £300
    There are many others to look for but with clinchers, to go under 1400g for under £1000 without losing stifness is rare.
    If you can get a good deal on mavic SLR wheels you may be able to get 1200-1400g wheelset for about a grand
    Chat to your LBS and think about how much difference there is between a £400 set and a £1000 and you will find it is not huge (weight wise very little, stiffness slightly more so)

I work in the LBS :wink: Im new to road so wanted to hear what people are riding and finding
    MADONE 5.2
  • to add im looking to achieve around 1500g so adding tyres keeps this under 2000g
    MADONE 5.2
  • sharky1029 wrote:
    Shimano RS80's are some of the best value light weight wheelsets. 1500 grams or so for about £300

1950g with Mavic's own Yksion tyres and that's Mavic's stated weight on their website - not actual weight. So give or take 50g.

You can get handbuilt wheels that come in at 1900g inc tyres for under £500.
  • who does handbuilt?
    MADONE 5.2
  • http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/63-new ... 3-wheelset

Highly regarded round here. One of the best builders in the UK

First part of a review here 'a funny thing happened on the way the ferry'

http://thewashingmachinepost.net/post.html

[worth reading the whole thing but if you can't be arsed then the proper review starts half way down]

Derek aka Wheelsmith

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/wh ... eview.html
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What are the wheels being used for - racing or training?

Harry Rowland builds good wheels, however I suspect he will suggest something at a far lower price than £1k.

Just had him build up some new wheels for my £5k 953 bike, spokes/rims/build was £200 plus the Campag Record hubs so a shade over £300. He also has the Gigantex 50mm carbon rims on Novatec hubs, CX-ray spokes, don't know the price.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    What do you tell a customer who asks you this question?
  • If you can get hold of a quality set of hubs at trade price, I am more than happy to build them for you at a reasonable cost. I think this is the most cost effective way to go for quality. Dura ace or Chris king will be well within your budget. If you cannot get trade price, then contact Harry Rowland... I think for high end wheels is the most reasonably priced and incidentally also the one that can build you the most sensible wheels
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    What do you tell a customer who asks you this question?

well i know whats good or not good, was more interested to hear what people are actually buying and feedback on them. im swaying to mavics sls wheels but wouldnt mind some aero wheels as well.
    MADONE 5.2