Upgrading Boardman Team FS Rear Shock

DannyUK
DannyUK Posts: 106
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am looking to change the rear shock on my Boardman Team FS. This is really due to the type of riding I do, I personally feel I need a shock that can lock out.. I have been drawn towards the RockShox Ario RL as I love it on a friends Camber.

I currently have a RockShox Monarch R which has only had 6 months use on my bike, primarily all road.

My question is, does anyone know what dimensions/size Ario RL I should buy as I understand from an online store they come in either:

a) 190mmx51mm// 7.5"x2.0"
or
b) 165x38 / 6.5"x1.5"

Any help would be much appreciated.
All the gear, loads of fear...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you measured it

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12678279

i2i and stroke.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DannyUK
    That's great... thank you nicklouse..!

I will measure in the morning... I assume the two measurements I posted above would be the length extended?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DannyUK wrote:
    That's great... thank you nicklouse..!

I will measure in the morning... I assume the two measurements I posted above would be the length extended?
    190mmx51mm

i2i and stroke.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    have you considered getting it tuned instead ?

cheaper than a new shock and it will be tuned to your specs

since i had my RP23 Pushed, i never use the lockout as i dont need to

http://www.tftunedshox.com/service/rockshox.aspx
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Isn't the monarch advertised as a better shock that the ario?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Monarch is the better shock (unless you must have lockout).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or haven't set it up right........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DannyUK
    Hmmm interesting about the push tuning.. Just having a read up about it now.. Might be the way to go!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    DannyUK wrote:
    Hmmm interesting about the push tuning.. Just having a read up about it now.. Might be the way to go!

Its not a cheap upgrade, but it makes a significant difference to the way the bike pedals and handles

My shock is aftermarket, so i noticed quite a difference from the stock tune to the PUSH tune. Since your shock was probably tuned for the frame, the impact to shock performance may not be as pronounced, however they can put a load of low compression damping into the shock, meaning you dont need a lockout

I have an RP23 and since i had it tuned, ive left it set on 0 and havent used the lockout once.

I'm seriously considering getting my fork done next