Bike Fitting at Langdale Lightweights

Quizmate
Quizmate Posts: 97
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but does anyone have any experience or recommendations for the bike fitting service offered by Langdale Lightweights in Nottingham. I've recently returned to cycling after many years absence and am experiencing discomfort around the knees and shins. My LBS was quite poor at setting me up and no amount of physio or adjustments makes much of a difference. Langdale are only up the road from me, but their website is light on information re what's involved in the fit (or price for that matter) and they seem mostly geared up for high end roadies rather than a newbie commuter such as myself using a Trek 7.3 hybrid. The problem is putting me off increasing my mileage or thinking about joining a club / purchasing a better machine for weekend duties. Any thoughts or advice would be really welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Don't want to come over as "sarky" but why not give 'em a ring or have a walk in to see them.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • No that's a perfectly sensible suggestion, but I was hoping to hear from anyone who's actually had experience of using them, particularly at my level, rather than just hearing the sales spin.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Travel a bit further to see Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sports in Barton Under Needwood - busy man though so there may be a bit of a wait.

Less than an hour from you in Notts.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    nochekmate wrote:
    Travel a bit further to see Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sports in Barton Under Needwood - busy man though so there may be a bit of a wait.

Less than an hour from you in Notts.

+1

Its around £160 now I beleive - but that includes free footbeds. Do be wary of the hero worship though - for example there is only a long wait because he only does a couple fits a week. Lot of cash but he does give you an in depth fit.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Langdales is up the road from me, and very well respected. Indeed.

They have had a refurb, and got a whole new fit area. I'd say you'd get a decent service as I know the owner and his staff.

I'd recommend on several satisfied customers of expensive bikes from there.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Yep there does seem to be a whole lot of Langdale's around here. I must confess I've never been in the shop but when it comes to getting a new steed they are on the list for a good look.

Like Scrumple says there a re a lot of satisfied punters around here. That said the shop is about 5 mins on bike from me.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I popped in when toying with the idea of a road bike. The guy (owners father I think) was incredibly helpful and informative....more so than elsewhere. The fitting service looks excellent...supposed to have people travel from all over the country....they keep adjusting and measuring your energy output. The cost as far as I recall is £150 but halfprice if you're buying a bike there...which makes sense to do as you can then get exact measurements set up for you. I ended up elsewhere due to budget constraints and 0% offers but was offered NO measuring up whatsoever...even when picking the bike up, after I asked for assistance there was none, ziltch, nata...not even 'here sir, this would be how to find optimum saddle height etc'....I knew that I was buying a first/intro road bike and its turned out ok. Third (other two MTBs) and last bike from Leisure lakes (considering Ive spent well over 5k in there, their service/attitude was terrible)

As soon as I upgrade to carbon I'll be going to Langdales for at least a measure up.
  • Thanks everyone for helping with this. I'll pay them a visit soon and book a fit.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Silverbull wrote:
    I popped in when toying with the idea of a road bike. The guy (owners father I think) was incredibly helpful and informative....more so than elsewhere. The fitting service looks excellent...supposed to have people travel from all over the country....they keep adjusting and measuring your energy output. The cost as far as I recall is £150 but halfprice if you're buying a bike there...which makes sense to do as you can then get exact measurements set up for you. I ended up elsewhere due to budget constraints and 0% offers but was offered NO measuring up whatsoever...even when picking the bike up, after I asked for assistance there was none, ziltch, nata...not even 'here sir, this would be how to find optimum saddle height etc'....I knew that I was buying a first/intro road bike and its turned out ok. Third (other two MTBs) and last bike from Leisure lakes (considering Ive spent well over 5k in there, their service/attitude was terrible)

As soon as I upgrade to carbon I'll be going to Langdales for at least a measure up.

Out of interest is that the LL in breaston?

Iv had nothing but good experiences with them tbh
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling