evans rideit sportive epping 21st oct 2012

fuzzhead1
fuzzhead1 Posts: 41
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
hi,

iv just signed up to do the evans road sportive on the 2st oct in epping.
its my first sportive im doing.

iv done lon to cam a few times over the years just trying to get a few info

has anyone done this event in the past?

anyone doing it, or thinking of doing it.

cheers

fuzzhead
raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason i have trust issues

Comments

• I am :D

I was booked for the 90 but am now doing the 60 with a mate.

Nice and cheap entry fee :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Has anyone got a link to the route please....so I can re plan my training route-need a bunch of wannabee racers like a hole in the head-joke!!! Before anyone gets all p.c on me
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    sportive? in epping? good grief, now there's a first ...
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    fuzzhead1 wrote:
    hi,

iv just signed up to do the evans road sportive on the 2st oct in epping.
    its my first sportive im doing.

iv done lon to cam a few times over the years just trying to get a few info

has anyone done this event in the past?

anyone doing it, or thinking of doing it.

cheers

fuzzhead

hi fuzzhead

I havent done this one before but i live in the area and its my regular training ground, both road and forest. What do you want to know? ask away.
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    Totally gutted as wanted to do this one but it has sold out. Why didn't I book it two weeks ago when i looked at it?

Oh well guess there is always next year.
  • hi greentea,

thanks for your reply.

just wanted to know if anyone has done the route last year.

also its my first sportive so i guess im a little excited and nervous.

are there loads of cyclist cycling in the epping area?

fuzzhead
    raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason i have trust issues
  • I am signed up to do the route with a couple of friends. I live not too far from Epping and cycle around there every couple of weeks. From what I know of the area I expect the route to be relatively flat (there aren't any 'real' hills around Epping). For that reason, I wouldn't judge this like other events of the same distance - this will be much easier. A nice introduction to sportives.

Evans don't tend to send out the gpx files until just before the event because the route is likely to change depending on road quality and weather, especially at this time of year.
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    fuzzhead1 wrote:
    hi greentea,

thanks for your reply.

just wanted to know if anyone has done the route last year.

also its my first sportive so i guess im a little excited and nervous.

are there loads of cyclist cycling in the epping area?

fuzzhead

There are loads of cyclists in the Epping/Loughton/Buckhurst Hill area, as its just on the edge of true Essex countryside. I go out most nights around there, Loughton, Epping. On weekends i go out up towards Harlow, around towards Chelmsford, back through Epping.

Although its relatively flat, there are quite a few short, sharp inclines that come out of the blue. Not very long in length, like 300-400 meters but they are 8-10% so can easily catch you out gearing wise. They are ideal for getting out of the seat and putting the power down and they are littered in and around the area, especially in the forest area.

Although Essex is flat compared to say the Lake District, one thing it does have which catches people out are false flats. Its riddled with them. In fact, i would say that not a lot of the area is actually as flat as most people think. Often the gradient on an innocent looking, long flat road will be registering 2-4% but because the roads are long in length its not always noticeable. What you will notice is the speed dropping off and your head can be querying why?! then you realise its a very long, slow gradient slowly catching you out if you arent aware of it.

But having said all that its a lovely area to ride in, i normally go out saturday and sunday mornings for a 50-60miler and its great, plenty of cyclists about.