New drive train

jonber1970
jonber1970 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking to build new drive train for my Rock Lobster. I have a Shimano SLX drive train fitted at the moment, which I find to be quite decent besides two aspects:

1) I very rarely use the granny ring, therefore would like a 2x10 setup.
2) Really miss my Sram twist shifter's, can't get used to triggers.

Parts I have shortlisted are :

2X10 Sram X0 twisters.
2x10 Sram X0 RD

Would like a Shimano XT Crank but believe these are Dyna-sys and not sure of compatibility?
And some advice on choosing a suitable FD and chain.

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks Jon

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just remove the Granny from your SLX!

X0 twists are a steal from Bike-dscount.de

Dyna sys doesn't stop XT cranks working with Sram rear!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not the same ratios if you just remove your inner though.

As above though, XT chainset will work fine, so just choose your ratios! I'd go for 28/40 personally, XT front mech, X.0 Grip Shift - you know the 10 speed ones don't 'trim' like the 9 speed ones though, just 2 positions.
  • Thankyou for replies, Beginner and njee :)

That was my thought also with ratios, 28/40 is my preference too. No i didnt know that about the trim with 10 speed, how will this affect me not being very technical (learning more everyday though). So to sum up XT 2x10 crank with Dyna-sys should work fine with sram RD, what about chain and casette?

Thanks again.

Jon
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd go for a KMC X10SL chain via eBay (don't pay more than £25) and an XT cassette.

The old 9 speed Grip Shift had about 8 clicks in the LH 3 speed shifter, so you could adjust the front mech to stop rubbing etc, the 10 speed ones just have the one click, so it's just a 2 position shifter.
  • Cool thanks for your help.

Jon