Advice on Canyon Nerve XC/AM 8.0 sizing needed

cmachine
cmachine Posts: 84
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. First post on the forum...hurray! I'm on the verge of buying a Canyon Nerve XC 8.0. They look like great specced bikes for the price and this will be my first full sus bike. One thing I am a little unsure about is the sizing, so wanting to draw on other owners experience. I'm 6' 1 with a pretty heavy build. I currently ride an 18" BeOne Karma 2011 XC Hardtail (feels fast, twitchy, dangerous and exciting but might be a little on the small side...did not want to go up to 20") and an old Specialized 2006 HardRock Disc 19" (which feels heavy, stirdy, a little unwieldy and indestructable). I went through Canyon's online sizing tool and it suggested a Medium. I've briefly ridden a medium Nerve 6.0 AM and it felt pretty good, but not convinced the Medium is right for me. I know sizing is less about height and more about reach/inseam etc. but just wondering if any other 6' 1 riders out there on Nerve Medium or Large (is this closer to a 20"?) and how they find them. Really wanted the Nerve AM 7 but they have all sold out. Cheers!
2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc (rebuilt)
2011 BeOne Karma Hardtail (disassembled!)
2012 Giant Anthem X4

Comments

• BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    As you mentioned, reach and inseam have a lot to deal with it. To put it simply, i'm 6'4" (only 3 inches on you) and I cant get a Canyon because the XL is too small. The Nerve 6.0 AM is also a full on All Mountain bike, which would feel better in a smaller size (more flickable). I would urge you to go for at least a Large, or even an Extra Large if you can try one out! Of course I don't know your build so you could have a short reach and inseam, in which case a Medium could be the ticket. But as always try before you buy!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inseam has little to do with sizing (unless your riding a traditional roady frame!), you can fix that with a seatpost, but you can't change the cockpit length as easily so it is your torso and arms that really dictate frame size (length).

I'm 5'10" and currently ride a 16" Carrera, the Canyon sizing suggested a 16.5" Nerve for me and comparing quoted Geo with my Carrera I'd say it was spot on (the Carrera is a fraction short of ideal, but an 18" would be too long), noting I have short arse legs and arms and a long torso for my (lack of) height, in fact sitting down I'm 'taller' than my 6'1" mate!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah Canyon do a 30 days return policy if not happy with initial size of bike, but obviously I would prefer not to be sending it back. Nothing worse than getting something new and shiny...putting it together and then taking it apart and sending it back. I'm pretty dead set on the Nerve XC 8.0 now: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2558 .From what I read a Canyon Nerve Medium is around an 18.5 " frame. I will hang on and see if any Nerve XC owners weigh in with their own experiences.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Compare the geometry chart(specifically top tube length) with your current bikes. It sounds(but may be totally wrong here) like you want something in between the BeOne and the Spesh.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I have an xc 8 and it's a great bike, however I'm not much help as I'm 5'7" and ride a small :-). I have also comfortably ridden a medium (my mate's, who's 5'10" I think) so maybe that would be too small for you. You could ring the uk customer services, think they're pretty helpful on sizing matters.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It kept suggesting a small (AM) for me, I contacted customer services and they confirmed my thoughts, that a medium was better for me. It is.
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    I'm 6ft and have a Nerve XC 9.0 SL. Fits me perfectly. Sadly, I'm going to be selling soon due to arrival of a baby and the need to move house. It's only been ridden about ten times :-( Bah.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    BikeSwan wrote:
    As you mentioned, reach and inseam have a lot to deal with it. To put it simply, i'm 6'4" (only 3 inches on you) and I cant get a Canyon because the XL is too small. The Nerve 6.0 AM is also a full on All Mountain bike, which would feel better in a smaller size (more flickable). I would urge you to go for at least a Large, or even an Extra Large if you can try one out! Of course I don't know your build so you could have a short reach and inseam, in which case a Medium could be the ticket. But as always try before you buy!
    talking complete rubbish
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356
    cmachine wrote:
    Large (is this closer to a 20"?)
    its exactly 20''
  • Yep I've been comparing frame geometry on my current two bikes and the Nerve XC Medium looks like it will fall nicely between the BeOne Karma and the Spesh Hardrock. Watched a few online videos showing standover height and reach/arm positioning. Both my current bikes are fine in this regard. Is it "normal" for XC riders to go for slightly larger bikes? I've heard from a few DH riders and guys with AM bikes that they would always go for a smaller bike to have something chuckable...not necessarily the case with XC though. The AM just looks a bit too hardcore for me and I doubt I would take full advantage of its capabilities.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For pure XC, yes a slightly larger bike with a slightly (note the use of SLIGHTLY) stretched out riding position is preferable, otherwise as you say, for most MTBing, if you fall between sizes generally go smaller not bigger.

Standover is nice to have but nothing to do with picking the right size frame as you're not standing over it while riding!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arrgggh ! They brought the website down last night and just put the 2013 bikes up this morning....and to add to my confusion they all look amazing. Seems the Nerve XC and AM ranges are now renamed AM and AM+. The site is a bit problematic at the moment, some colour options not working on viewing the bikes but I am sure it will be sorted shortly. Worth a look to those interested in a new, well specced and affordable bike.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    cubicboy wrote:
    I'm 6ft and have a Nerve XC 9.0 SL. Fits me perfectly. Sadly, I'm going to be selling soon due to arrival of a baby and the need to move house. It's only been ridden about ten times :-( Bah.

What size did you get?

Im 6ft thinking of getting a M.
  • chez_m356
    cmachine wrote:
    arrgggh ! They brought the website down last night and just put the 2013 bikes up this morning.
    still have whats left of the 2012 bikes here https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/list.html?type=mtb
  • cheers for that! still a few of the 2012 bikes left there. Was hoping they would being out a 2013 bike in bright "Hemi" Orange...but no luck. The 2013 bikes still look superb with a great spec.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4