Slime innertubes

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Anyone ever used them slime inertubes and are they any good ?
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    nope but i think they are a bit like going tubless without the faff....( pulls pin and runs away!)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Nope, they're rubbish, but if you get a 29er you can roll over everything without getting punctures or pedalling.
  • I heard they cause more injuries than they prevent.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are rubbish.
    Like SPD's 29ers and Sram.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Il use holts tyre weld then lol :-)
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Why would you use Tyre Weld?
  • Disagree with all the above (apart from cooldad on SPD's 29ers and Sram!!) - used them for a good few years now and they're ace.

Never had one fail on me, and when I change them after the summer thorns every year, it's amazing to see how many flats I *would* have had.

The early ones were heavy, but the Slime Lite tubes at 219g are a decent weight as well, and £4.99 on ebay at WoollyHatShop are a great price.

Yeah loads of folk whinge about them, but I'm one very satisfied customer.

Dave
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    Disagree with all the above (apart from cooldad on SPD's 29ers and Sram!!) - used them for a good few years now and they're ace.

Never had one fail on me, and when I change them after the summer thorns every year, it's amazing to see how many flats I *would* have had.

The early ones were heavy, but the Slime Lite tubes at 219g are a decent weight as well, and £4.99 on ebay at WoollyHatShop are a great price.

Yeah loads of folk whinge about them, but I'm one very satisfied customer.

Dave

+1 run them on mine, never had a flat, pulled out thorns and alsorts with no punctures.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    heez29 wrote:
    Why would you use Tyre Weld?
    Whooshhhhhh
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Erm the tyre weld was a joke

• sigorman85
    Cheers rucks & dave I've asked the lbs to stick 2 aside for me hopefully they will be good value but doubt it!

What they like when you have to let them Down to swap tyres over any problems?

• Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    There's not a massive amount of slime in them, I normally just hold a rag over the end as I let them down
  • They seem to work for some and not others. The guys in my LBS swear by them and have hardly any issues with them at all. I had nothing but trouble with them and only one puncture in ten sealed itself. I am 50% older and larger than the blokes in my LBS though, so perhaps the tubes are ageist and fattist. Bar stewards!
  • sigorman85
    I think the only thing to do is buy them and try it out if there poo poo then they can go back to the lbs but I'm positive they will work lol

• sigorman85 wrote:
    I think the only thing to do is buy them and try it out if there poo poo then they can go back to the lbs but I'm positive they will work lol
    Yes, depending upon what you ride, where and how, they will either work or they won't. I don't tend to ride in the area where I used to get most punctures any more but after posting "Am I the only one" and receiving nothing but negative feedback about slimeys, it will be a while before I give them a go again.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I f*cking hate them and hope they die.

/thread
  • I wish that they would actually work but the ones I had are dead buried and shall never again spoil our rides. Their hopelessness has put me off tubeless as well but that is another debate.
  • sigorman85
    I ride Xc and to And from work I'm a cnc engineer and at my work there is swarff on the ground it's the main thing that gives me a flat so I thought they might work if not then least I've given them a go and no not to buy them again