Help with these forks

Dazbot
Dazbot Posts: 22
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I was looking at a hybrid, but saw a giant xtc 3.5 for sale and have grabbed it.
Didn't come with the listed forks and other parts and im struggling to understand something.

The forks are suntour xcr mg's and as you can see on the top they have these dials. I was hoping that they would allow locking but which ever way I twist...it isn't happening. What do these dials do as they don't appear to do anything?

I suspect im better off getting rid, if so what entry level forks with locking should I go for? Second hand worth it?

Thanks Daz

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Thats a preoad adjuster, so wont change much except the sag. Whats on the other side?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Depending on steerer and axle, I suspect that these would be the best value you can find http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2013.html if you want to replace. For £112.50 you'll not find anything even close.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dazbot
    benpinnick wrote:
    Thats a preoad adjuster, so wont change much except the sag. Whats on the other side?

Thanks for the quick answer, same thing on the other side.
  • Dazbot
    benpinnick wrote:
    Depending on steerer and axle, I suspect that these would be the best value you can find http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2013.html if you want to replace. For £112.50 you'll not find anything even close.

Thanks, shame they've sold out, at that price I can see why, will look on ebay as well.

What about these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67885
  • benpinnick
    No rebound, so I would avoid if I were you. Ebay may prove fruitful, but watch out for steerer length issues. Look for a fork with external rebound adjustment and lockout.

Also, if your not in a desperate hurry, things will come back in stock on merlin, or prices on newer models fall.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    If your after something cheapo.... http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Forks_2011
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dazbot
    benpinnick wrote:
    No rebound, so I would avoid if I were you. Ebay may prove fruitful, but watch out for steerer length issues. Look for a fork with external rebound adjustment and lockout.

Also, if your not in a desperate hurry, things will come back in stock on merlin, or prices on newer models fall.

Thanks Ben, yeah can wait.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That looks like an XCR, so it will likley have a cartridge damper, as such it's not a hideously bad fork as long as it's working (seals and pants and they are prone to seizing or filling with water).

Personally I'd look for a good used pair on ebay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dazbot
    That looks like an XCR, so it will likley have a cartridge damper, as such it's not a hideously bad fork as long as it's working (seals and pants and they are prone to seizing or filling with water).

Personally I'd look for a good used pair on ebay.

Funny you should say that, on first clean of the bike I turned it upside down and pushed the folks and a slurry of muddy water came out..nice.
  • The Rookie
    Worth taking apart and cleaning then....just loosen the two allen bolts at the bottom of the legs, tap up with a hammer to loosen the interference fit of uppers in lower, then remove the bolts and pull apart - no need to even remove the forks first.

Red 'rubber' grease below the 'seal' helps keep the muck out and the stanchions/bushes clean and lubed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dazbot
    Thanks for the reply..Just clean with soap and water? Can I just use chain lube?
  • The Rookie
    Soap and water, yes, just make sure it's dry and then grease before reassembly! 'red rubber' grease is best but anything really thick and gooey (more water resistant) is OK, hwen the lad was running the (almost identical) XCM's I use to pry the seal up after a wet ride, allow it to dry, add a touch of grease and push the seals back on.

You'll see many XC series with rusty stanchions used as if crud gets in it wears the chroming off a bit fast!

(I put the lowers in front of a radiator, dries them out nice and quick!)
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    Is it best taken apart with the forks/bike upside down or the right way up? (dont want lost of bits to drop out unexpectedly!)

Thanks
    Chris
    ChrisM