Broken Brake advice

LostHorizon
LostHorizon Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of Formula RX brakes on my Rocky Mountain Element. Last week when descnding a tricky bit i slipped, went down hard and basically snapped the end off one of my brake levers. The rest of the brake is okay, its just half of the lever thats off. The pivoting part and the rest seems okay. Is it possible to buy and replace the lever itself or will the whole brake need to be replaced. And also, is it a big job?
cheers
H...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes levers are replacable. it will have broken at the point it is designed to break to save the rest of the brake.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cheers Nick, it never occurred to me that they had an engineered weak point designed to protect the rest of the brakes, that makes me feel a lot better, i thought when it happened that they were just a lot more sh*t than i thought they were. Turns out they are pretty smart.
    Pastey, thanks for the link, will def be following up on that when i get home!
  • nicklouse
    cheers Nick, it never occurred to me that they had an engineered weak point designed to protect the rest of the brakes, that makes me feel a lot better, i thought when it happened that they were just a lot more sh*t than i thought they were. Turns out they are pretty smart.
    Pastey, thanks for the link, will def be following up on that when i get home!
    have a look at the other lever and you should see the "break" point

you can see the dimple on The One lever here

1737-0-full-fd40112-20-21.jpg

I am guessing that the newer one are similar.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kind of wish My Juicy's had had similar, may have snapped off before the tip disapeared 1/2" into my bicep (yes I did say ouch!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope they would have snapped off inside your bicep and you would have had to dig the bit out with yourSwiss Army knife.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    CD's natural optimism to the fore!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as it's not my bicep, it's funny.
    I'm a happy person really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cheers for the advice, one last thing, if i bought a lever on its own, is it easy to replace? do i need special tools etc, do i need to fiddle with the hydraylics as i dont have the tools for that.

cheers
  • The Rookie
    Not sure what you'll need, but you shouldn't need to open the hydraulic circuit.
  • nicklouse
    cheers for the advice, one last thing, if i bought a lever on its own, is it easy to replace? do i need special tools etc, do i need to fiddle with the hydraylics as i dont have the tools for that.

cheers
    Just a 2mm Allen key.